The Life And Times Of Vivienne Vyle Page 4

OK then. I thought to be fair I'd watch it.

The start of it was really just a documentary of how we perceive that kind of programme.

Then when that bloke attacked JS and the bouncer fell on her I just pissed myself laughing.

So I do agree with - I think - zooo who compared it to Perfect Skin.

One thing I will say is that if you're unknown you are expected to get a laugh in quickly but if you're established you can write your own rule book.

Yeah this was getting in the early punch to the audience, quite literally, but after that the tempo dropped right down. It would be disappointing for someone expecting that sort of action to carry through.

I am so glad to see a clinical psychologist getting the mickey taken, they deserve it!

Quote: LINA @ October 6, 2007, 9:58 PM

I am so glad to see a clinical psychologist getting the mickey taken, they deserve it!

Good point. It's people like them who are a cause of a lot of today's problems.

Just lock the scum up.

Lousy parents are to blame for most of todays problems. The sooner we sterilise the working classes the better, because those feckless wasters make the worst parents of all.

To add a few postives, at least Jennifer Saunders was striking out by choosing a target rather than an average situation. The problem is that it could have been done so much better. The characters were interesting and the anger was good, but the jokes were limp - and few - and the show never quite dug into the stupid snobbery that surrounds crap like Kyle's moronic festival of jeering.

I've heard this week's episode is better, it gets more into its stride apparently. Even if it's not great Christopher Ryan* looks like he has a fun part to play.

Also I notice Gemma Arrowsmith, one of our website members, is on this week's cast list. :)

* Ticket inspector in Saxondale, Tony Driscoll in Green Green Grass and OFAH, Marshall in Ab Fab, Dave Hedgehog in Bottom etc etc

Quote: Mark @ October 10, 2007, 11:31 PM

* Ticket inspector in Saxondale, Tony Driscoll in Green Green Grass and OFAH, Marshall in Ab Fab, Dave Hedgehog in Bottom etc etc

How can you not list Mike in the Young Ones?

Quote: LINA @ October 6, 2007, 9:00 PM

Hi

About being in school, doesn't that normally have bad memories for comedy geeks and writers - being the nerdish outsider? Not giving anything away here of course... but looking back, does it come close to the best years of your life for anyone?

hi lina,

no, i hated school, so much so that i got myself expelled. kind of regretting that now. Teary

Quote: ajp29 @ October 10, 2007, 11:47 PM

How can you not list Mike in the Young Ones?

Just what I was thinking!

I was mainly silent, save to groan, "Oh my God, it's Mike."

Miranda Richardson, stripped of the irritating Queenie voice, was brilliant though. Half the time the lines she was saying weren't in themselves funny at all, and yet still they were hilarious. Incredible comic acting.

Quote: chipolata @ October 8, 2007, 10:38 AM

Lousy parents are to blame for most of todays problems. The sooner we sterilise the working classes the better, because those feckless wasters make the worst parents of all.

Stopping child benefit would help. It's a fairly recent benefit which is totally unnecessary and leads to much abuse of the benefits system. Some single mothers may need help but not a child benefit which is just given out willy nilly to anybody with kids, whether they need it or not.

Some of the working classes are not as feckless as you propose, we are not all chavs! By working class, I mean those with jobs, by the way.. You may mean the 'dole/benefits class', many of whom surely are 'feckless wasters'.. more power to your elbow if you can get them sterilised..

I grew up on a council estate and went to a pretty lousy comprehensive school, so by definition I'm working class. Although thankfully I managed to pull myself up out of the slime, I'm afraid most don't. The sad truth is in the last fifty years the traditional working class have gone from being salt of the earth to scum of the earth.

anyone watch this last night.
i tried. it seems to be a drama series. not even any attempt at comedy as far as i can see.

I would include politicians in that list of 'scum of the earth', irrespective of whether they are working class or not.

The working class who have jobs and are paying taxes are at least one up on the dole/sick benefits lot.

I have no problem with genuine claimers btw.. but not people of any 'class' who won't work and who languish on the dole/sick doing whatever they do all day..

Quote: johnny roulette @ October 12, 2007, 10:06 AM

anyone watch this last night.
i tried. it seems to be a drama series. not even any attempt at comedy as far as i can see.

I saw 20 mins and it did seem that way, except for the nob gag by the transexual guy.. which was not very good really.. but if you're into nob gags.. My landlord was loving it but I went off to work on the backing track for a comedy song.. (you really needed to know that!)

Just to reply to your politician point, I don't see them as scum of the earth. They may be ineffective and overly obsessed with style over substance, but they've been made that way by an increasingly dumbed down media. And also, if I had to live next door to a politician, or a working class family, I'd choose the politician any day of the week. With the working class family next door you know you're going to get badly behaved children and a broken bottle in your face if you complain.

Sorry to sound like a bigot on this, but I've actually witnessed some pretty unpleasant behaviour from chavs and the like over the years, and I've completely run out of patience with them.

By the way, Vivian Vyle is still shite. Where did it all go wrong for the once mighty Jennifer Saunders?