Nuns On The Run Page 3

Quote: Tim Walker @ March 1 2011, 2:17 PM GMT

Clockwise could have done with a bit more money thrown at it to not make it look so much like a TV movie, but Michael Frayn's script is great and Cleese has never given a better performance on film. It's also the only example I can think of a British "road movie" which actually works.

I can't even think of another British road movie. Britain's probably too small to do them justice.

Quote: chipolata @ March 1 2011, 4:20 PM GMT

I can't even think of another British road movie. Britain's probably too small to do them justice.

The only other British road movie I can think of was a TV film in the late 80s with Lenny Henry and the guy who played Lex Luther in the 90s Superman series.
They went on the run around the UK to get away from the gansters after them (played by Peter Vaughan and the Wexford actor).

Quote: Dave @ March 1 2011, 6:10 PM GMT

The only other British road movie I can think of was a TV film in the late 80s with Lenny Henry and the guy who played Lex Luther in the 90s Superman series. They went on the run around the UK to get away from the gansters after them (played by Peter Vaughan and the Wexford actor).

I suppose in telly terms we've had road sitcoms with The Trip and Max and Paddy.

Staggered was a road movie of sorts, and Loose Connections was a British road movie, albeit one set on the Continent. Both watchable, if not great.

Quote: Aaron @ March 1 2011, 12:24 PM GMT

Both Fierce Creatures and A Fish Called Wanda co-starred Michael Palin though, so not solo-Python films!

Don't know about that. On the few occasions when Ringo has played on Paul McCartney records, it's still a McCartney solo record.

There is a bit of a difference between an overrated musician's songs and a film... ;)

Quote: Dave @ February 28 2011, 5:56 PM GMT

"In that interview in the News section, he says:

BB: What's you greatest delight in putting together a show such as Spamalot?

EI: Being in the girls' dressing room. My wife will say, 'Where's Eric?' And the crew will say, 'He's in the girl's dressing room.' That's cos' I just love hanging out in there. Once, during the Australian tour I knocked on the door and called out 'Are you naked yet?' And the giggling call came back 'Oh, come on in Eric.' So I walked in, and three of them were stark naked, straight off the beaches, fantastic bodies. So I had to pretend to be Prince Charles and not look at them, staring at their eyes and saying 'How's it going, girls?' I told my wife when I died I want to be buried in the girls dressing room in Melbourne'. She said, 'You're gonna be.'

Eric is always one for the 'main chance' as regarding viewing - in considerable close-up detail - the aesthetic qualities of female flesh, Dave.

He has clearly exploited many of the benefits open to him via his fame through Python.

Can't say I blame him: many red-blooded guys on here would do the same thing, given half a chance.

I can just image Idle on-set on location in the girl's shower scene:

'Oooh, I think we had better do another 27 takes of the shot with me and the girl with no panties on, just to make sure we get it right, purely on a professional basis, you understand - and make sure we all take our time to do this thoroughly', as the poor girl has to stand stark naked, freezing, for hours on end as the fully-clothed Idle makes on he is the consumatte 'professional'.

I can't see him insisting on the same 'dedication' during the remaining, usually boring to film, scenes, however.

Quote: chipolata @ March 1 2011, 4:20 PM GMT

More of a "road TV show" than a "road movie" but does anyone remember "The Groovy Fellers" with Jools Holland (as himself) and Roland Rivron as a martian who'd crash landed in the UK?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0147769/ this proves that I didn't just dream it.

I have it - a strange specimen to say the least.

I like Eric Idle and anything he's done, this is a good though not brilliant film.

I enjoyed this when I was younger and not just for 'that' scene!

Many years Peter Capaldi made Film - Soft Top, Hard Shoulder which could be described as road movie. I've also just finished watching Oliver's Travels by the great Alan Plater which probably fits in that category. The book was better if only because you don't have to watch Alan Bates over acting but its not bad if you like Alan Plater or Bill Forsyth style programmes.