Classic Comedy Characters Page 2

Quote: zooo @ March 29 2011, 7:01 PM BST

I'll mullet over, but I think that's the winner.

In that case may I introduce Dame Vera Lynn to play us out with her wartime hit that bemoaned the lack of proper food . . 'Whale Meat Again' . . .

Wondered who'd be the first to spot that one Wilson.

Ahem

Back on Tropic

Sergeant Ernest G Bilko

^ Good call.

Show wouldn't have been anywhere near as good without Phil Silvers, surely.

Genius.

Couple more:

Alf Garnett
David Brent

Dame Edna Everage
Sir Les Patterson
Sandy Stone
Geraldine Granger
Edina Monsoon
Patsy Stone
Kath and Kim
Lauren ("Am I Bovvered?)
Nan Taylor
Rik/Richard Richard/Richard Dangerous
Vyvian/ Edward Hitler/Sir Adrian Dangerous
Neil The Hippy
Mr. Bean
Norman Gunston
Kevin The Teenager
Kylie Mole (She goes, she goes, she goes...) - Old School Australian
Auntie Jack - Older School Autralian
Roseanne Connor and Jackie
Cybill Sheridan and Maryanne Thorpe

Partridge is a character who you could do so much with. I don't know why Coogan is so coy about doing more with him.

Brent is another who could have been taken into a new area (but I've no idea what).

Moss from The IT Crowd is a current favourite. And Tom (Trigger) from The Old Guys is a well-thought out character with promise.

Bernard Black

Malcolm Tucker

Vince Clark

Edmund Blackadder

Generally, I like arse holes.

Does this count?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tROn6LOvPAY

There are so many, but sometimes I like to indulge in the classics of Charlie Chaplin aswell as Laurel & Hardy.
There are so many to tickle the ribs.

There are just so many wonderful comedy characters that have been created over so many years that every time I think of one who might be my favourite I immediately think of a dozen others.
But Oldrocker's YouTube clip of Norman Evans just goes to show there's no such thing as a new joke. Evans is obviously the guy from whom Les Dawson got his Cissie (or maybe it was Ada?)and although Dawson may have taken it to new heights, Evans was the originator, unless it was passed down from a previous generation.
Anyway, the Norman Evans sketch set me off on a long ramble though the amazing old stuff YouTube's got.
To name just a few: Rob Wilton, Max Wall, Max Miller (obviously), Gert and Daisy, Old Mother Riley, Wilson Keppel and Betty, Ronald Shiner, Will Hay, Sid Field, Tommy Trinder etc etc. dating from 1929 to late 40s.
In decades gone by many people used to say that Sid Field was the greatest British comedy actor of all time, even better than Hancock, but from the few clips I've just seen of Field, Hancock was better in my opinion but maybe he had better scripts or maybe Field came over better live.
But in all the stuff I've just watched and listened to, not one single 'bloody' let alone any 'effings'. These poor old buggers wouldn't get a look in nowadays, not even Max.

Alf Garnett

Mainly because my dad is turning into him these days

In no particular order.

John Cleese.
Alan Partridge.
Blackadder.
Del Boy.

Special mention for Arthur Lowe in Dad's Army.

Victor (One Foot)
Tom & Diana & Jane (Waiting For God)
Del Boy & Rodney (OFAH)
Arkwright (Open All Hours)
Gupte (Only When I Laugh)
Geraldine & Alice (Vicar of Dibley)
Hyacinth, Richard & Onslow (Keeping Up Appearances)

Might have mentioned this before, or maybe on another forum, but Father Ted is definitely a real favourite with loads of people.
I started a Father Ted Facebook page and literally got 14,000 visitors regularly. All the writing I used to do for it often took a couple of hours per day so I had a big online party on St Pat's day this year and then pretended I'd been carted off to a detox unit and haven't returned to it since.
But returning to the subject of Classic Comedy Characters, the favourite mega star was, of course Father Jack.
In fact the girls in particular just love him! I suppose he's the alternative toy-boy and he's definitely a bit of rough - with a fecking vengeance.
In my youth I reckon I could've played the part of Jack without any effort at all - all I needed was a hideously stained priest's outfit and I could'a been a star!

Quote: zooo @ March 29 2011, 6:01 PM GMT

I'll mullet over, but I think that's the winner.

I'm floundering a bit here.. and I do hake to interrupt, but ide pike to say that nowadace, any old fish pun'll do. That's my two pumpkinseeds'-worth.

The outlook is bleak.

[Which fish are included ? Are coelacanths? Are hagfish?

Are soles?]

Anyway, back to the OP:

Sir Les Patterson.

Stan Butler
Harold Steptoe
George Roper
Victor Meldrew

Godber

Jim Royle

Arkwright

Del Boy

Albert Steptoe