Comedy stars with same name as sitcom characters Page 2

One of ''The Likely Lads'' and the writer of ''Clarence'' were called Bob Ferris.

(This is a cheat of course, Bob Ferris is one of Ronnie Barker's pseudonyms).

Quote: Tuumble @ January 20 2011, 11:46 AM GMT

I always wondered if the actors who had the same name as their character were just a little nice-but-dim because they could never work out if they were being spoken to directly.

That would be Keith Chegwin in Extras, where his sitcom character's name is changed to Keith.

Other comedy stars with the same name as sitcom characters include Roseanne (Barr), Drew Carey and Tim (Allen).

Peggy Ollerenshaw from Hi De Hi! was almost certainly Christened Margaret. Margaret (or Maggie) Ollerenshaw played Mavis, the character who couldn't make up her mind in Open All Hours.

George Roper who was one of the comics from Johnny Hamp's Granada TV series The Comedians, he appeared on the show first in 1971 about two years before Brian Muprhy played George Roper on "Man About The House"

Roseanne Barr
Ellen Degeneres (can't spell it)
Cybill Shepherd
Lee Evans
Miranda Hart
Eric Sykes

Closest thing I can get to topic.

Auf wiedersehn Pet and Pet Semetary or Pet(ula) Clark.

Um - and Pet Sounds by Beach Boys.

Quote: David Carmon @ February 19 2013, 9:10 PM GMT

Roseanne Barr
Miranda Hart
Eric Sykes

Didn't use own surnames.

Not sitcom, but Ronnie Corbett's name on the Mastermind sketch was Charlie Smithers, a famous club comic of the time.

EDIT: According to a post I've made elsewhere this character was changed to Smithers by Ronnie B. I dunno how reliable I am. :D

Jerry Seinfeld

Quote: peter gazzard @ February 22 2013, 2:55 PM GMT

Jerry Seinfeld

ARGGGHH! What's it about this thread people don't get?? And you started this thread, Peter.

Sid James always played Sid in Carry On movies and Bless This House didn't he?

Often, but not exclusively. And again, that wasn't - it seemed - the point of the thread. It was almost more often than not that people shared the same first name with characters they played in the 1950s, 60s and 70s. This thread purported to be able totally different people sharing a name by coincidence.

Quote: Tim Azure @ February 22 2013, 3:50 PM GMT

ARGGGHH! What's it about this thread people don't get?? And you started this thread, Peter.

True, I did. Well my post is technically correct :D

There was a character in The Simpsons called Andy Hamilton, also a writer, but not played by him, I don't think.

There was a rock group, The Rupert Rigsby Experience - he used to set fire to his cardigan on stage.

Richard Griffin=Richard Bucket out of Keeping Up Appearances.