Attempting to start open-mic night in Bristol Page 6

Speaking for myself, I've done nothing...

We could hijack an existing music slot - have five or six comedians all just turn up on the night. I almost did that at the Springvale Tavern, in that I turned up at about ten minutes after open doors and the only other person there was a guitarist, already on stage. I should clarify, literally, the only other person in the room. He was playing to himself.

I have a feeling the Big Chill bar have a open mic every fortnight

Hijacking a music open night honestly sounds reasonable, if multiple people go, and im sure the owners would not mind since it means more people going. Would be nice however to have a more tailor made event, with a friendly (or atleast mostly friendly) crowd.

I'm representing a nightclub in Cheltenham called thirteenDegrees we have big club nights Friday, Saturday and Sunday and have a large fan base. We're looking for something fresh and exciting for Thursday nights and decided to investigate the comedy scene as there is little or none already in Cheltenham.

Looking into doing an open mic sessions or even a fortnightly run event.

If anyone has any helpful advice or in fact looking for a venue around the Gloucestershire area feel free to PM me and I'll get back to you as possible.

I'm on stage tonight at The Wardrobe Theatre - from 8pm. Come along Bristol BCG-ers.

It's a great little venue.

Hi,
I've been running Comedy Combo at the Cube Cinema Bristol - open mic plus a classic film.Had some great nights so far. You can see pictures of the stage at www.Cubecinema.com
Here's a link to facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ComedyCombo and/or follow me on twitter @Marianohreally
cheers all

Hi gang,

My name's Rich and I've just moved to the Bristol area (I'm on Gloucester Rd).

I've done a little bit of stand-up before but I'm very keen to make it a regular thing.

I've been reading your posts on this thread, and they have given me hope about where to look for open mic shows, etc, and I'm kicking myself that I missed that comedy/movie gig at The Cube the other night!

Anyone got any advice about where to head for open mic slots? Do you guys have pub meets?

Also, I used to be in bands back in the late 1900s, and gained a lot of gruelling experience organising gigs, booking pubs, promotion, etc, so if you want a hand with setting up open mic nights, consider me at your service.

Drop me a message/email if you want.

Cheers, gang!

Kiss kiss. Rich

Hi, just a little note for those interested, there are a few small open mics now running in Bristol.

- Open Stage @ The Bristol Fringe Cafe Bar in Clifton. Every Tuesday. Starts 8-ish, finishes 11-ish. Poetry, Improv, and Stand-up. Really lovely.

- Julius's Stand-up Night @ The Old England in Montpelier. Every Thursday. Starts 10, finishes midnight-late.

Also, not strictly an open mic, but open to new(er) performers:

- The Dead Frog's Society @ The Thunderbolt in Totterdown. Last wednesday of the Month. (Currently on hiatus until september, I believe.)

The first two are just show-up-and-play, but the Dead Frogs are booking only.

Enjoy!

Did a set at The Old England last week. The coke-wasted and heckling blond provided me with enough material for my next set, especially the story about her friend weeing on a swan.

Hi,

I'm now hosting the night in Clifton on the 4th of September, and want to make it a bit more comedy-oriented.

So, if any Bristol performers would like a slot, just let me know.

Hi there

I had my first attempt at stand up last week at Open Stage @ the Bristol Fringe Bar Cafe. I absolutely loved it and now I'm keen to do more.

I've not had any replies yet but have been in touch with Ed from the Wardrobe, and Joe from the Big Chill.

Does anyone have suggestion as to where else is good to play if you're starting out?

Cheers

Fantastic I would be interested in this,as I have recently started doing Stand Up. England

I know this post is two years old but The Arts House in Stokes Croft do open mike nights.

Quote: wetdoublewet @ May 16 2013, 10:45 PM BST

I know this post is two years old but The Arts House in Stokes Croft do open mike nights.

Thank you for replying to this post! When I noticed that it was this old, I lost hope a bit - but you posted three days ago! :D

I'd love to get involved with an open mic night (if one is still being organised), but The Arts House looks like it might be good for me. For anyone else interested in The Arts House, here's the link to their events page: http://www.theartshouse.org/music.php

Cheers!

Hi Guys,

I have been working on getting an open mic night going at "The Cider Press" on Gloucester Road every Thursday. Would love to get some comedians down if anyone is interested. I love comedy and so far we have only had musicians so would be great if you would like to come down.

We also do a music quiz in between acts so your friends can have something extra to do :-D

Cheers

Kieron