"They're All Repeats" sketch from the 1980s

I can remember that in the mid-80s when I was only around 6 years old, I saw a comedy sketch on ITV with a dopey-looking couple watching TV. The woman said "shall we see what's on the telly then"? and the man said "they're all repeats" - they were watching their exact selves on the TV screen who were also watching themselves on TV and so on and so on until the images of the couple in front of the TV disappeared! I have no memory of which series this sketch was from, can anyone else remember?

I don't remember this sketch but the style sounds similar to End of Part One. Though that was 1979-80 so not the right year.

Sounds good though.

Could it be a Kenny Everett sketch?

Or maybe Absolutely?

I vaguely recall this sketch. I want to say Mel Smith was in it, but I'm almost certainly wrong.

I have heard of End of Part One - I'm not sure if it was repeated in the mid-80s. I seem to recall seeing this sketch on ITV, although my memory probably isn't what it was after around 25 years.

There was definitely a Monty Python sketch with this concept at the heart: probably from Series 3 (1972-3) with the grotesque 'Pepperpots' (some of the Python guys overmade up as working-class, middle-aged ladies with hair in curlers, screeching irritatingly, etc). If I remember correctly, there is a reference to this idea later on in the same show, which shows the 'ladies' snoopingly recording the activities of their neighbours with technology more akin of that as used by MI5: a slightly disturbing, if memorable sketch.

It's probably not the same one indicated in this thread, however...

Wouldn't be Alfresco, would it? It does sound like the kind of visual trickery Kenny Everett engaged in, but by the mid 1980s he'd long left Thames for Auntie and probably wasn't being repeated any longer.

Quote: Rico El Vista @ January 21 2011, 7:12 PM GMT

There was definitely a Monty Python sketch with this concept at the heart: probably from Series 3 (1972-3) with the grotesque 'Pepperpots' (some of the Python guys overmade up as working-class, middle-aged ladies with hair in curlers, screeching irritatingly, etc).

Calling the women pepperpots first appeared in the show How To Irritate People. Possibly they were named after Mrs Pepperpot, the heroine of books written by Alf Prøysen in 1950s and 60s.

Daleks were also called pepperpots, but their similarity is more obvious of course.

You can really kill a conversation by adding an ø...