Most influential British comics on Twitter Page 2

I don't know how the names were chosen. There's a whole preamble about it being inaccurate and arbitrary - and as someone has already pointed out to them, it doesn't even have Gary Delaney on there, who is generally agreed to be one of our top twitterers - along with Tony of course, who keeps those gags coming day in day out.

Yeh Whizzer and Chips didn't even get a look in.

Or Sooty for that matter. You should be in there on volume of posts alone.

I've been running an undercover op on BCG for the metropolitan police for 2 years now.

Your nickname of Flash is due to you walking close to old ladies with your Chorissa hanging out.

It'a actually cos I clean bathrooms exceptionally well.

If I was in the firearms unit I'd probably be Cillit Bang

Quote: sootyj @ January 18 2011, 10:33 PM GMT

If I was in the firearms unit I'd probably be the gayest cop ever

Nice to see my mate Paul Sinha in at number 35. No idea what he's done to deserve this ranking, as my understanding was that Paul only uses social networking sites to reel-in vulnerable, bicurious married men. Anyway, good for him, say I! :)

I feel a bit sick for being quite such a needy eejit (but hey, I'm a stand up) but I've now signed up to their website, so hopefully, in future I'll feature at 67 or something and then I can get annoyed when I look at who's above me in the list.

On a side note, as already mentioned, it's an absolute scandal that Gary Delaney isn't in there.

Have you not contemplated making a ridiculously offensive joke on some public forum?

Then moaning in public that it's political correctness gone mad killing your career?

But be original and pick on a group nobody else has.

Anethatist comedy writers?

"Anethatist comedy writers are such a gas, they always knock you out"

"Aenthatist comedy writers can't write tragedy, because they can't make you feel a thing."

"Anethatist comedy writers are very popular on BBC3 they can put anyone to sleep in half an hour."

Quote: Tony Cowards @ January 19 2011, 8:51 AM GMT

On a side note, as already mentioned, it's an absolute scandal that Gary Delaney isn't in there.

Actually, you and Delaney were probably both included in the pool. I looked you both up because I was surprised by the obvious omissions. At the time the list came out I think you had a PeerIndex of 31 and Gary Delaney was 33, making you both fall just outside of the top 100 (Gary was literally next in line, joint 107th).

http://www.peerindex.net/tonycowards http://www.peerindex.net/garydelaney

Clearly you're both hugely more successful as comics on Twitter than others on the list, including myself. The model they're using is slanted against highly-tuned joke factories like you both. It includes the size of your audience, but it also includes how engaged and attuned you are to them. A one-liner will probably come out of nowhere, and therefore isn't part of any particular ongoing topic or conversation. You're punished for being original. Meanwhile they might get retweeted a lot, but they don't trigger so much conversation back and forth with your followers, which means you don't get the score for engagement.

The list was never an effective illustration of how funny someone was on Twitter. The 'influence' measure is more likely to go up if you're sharing lots of topical links, and adding comments to ongoing conversations, than if you post jokes.

The most 'influential' people in this model will definitely not be the funniest. They'll be the most opinionated people, with an engaged following, who happen to also be comedians. The link to comedy was largely arbitrary.

In short, if you want to climb that list, post less jokes and spend more time linking to and arguing about the topics of the day.

But don't, obviously... Twitter would be a lot less fun.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ January 18 2011, 9:10 PM GMT

Who?

Hello.

Don't worry, "who?" is an entirely appropriate response.

Quote: Brendan Dodds @ January 21 2011, 11:52 PM GMT

Hello.

Hey everybody, it's that Brendan Dodds, of 'Most Influential British Comics on Twitter'-thread fame!! :O Wave

Are you on Twitter, Tim? If so, you get my vote.

Quote: Tim Walker @ January 22 2011, 3:28 PM GMT

Hey everybody, it's that Brendan Dodds, of 'Most Influential British Comics on Twitter'-thread fame!! :O Wave

Don't get up.

Cheers for the explanation Brendan that has cleared up a few things for me. :)