Hitler: the sitcom

Anybody know more details about this sitcom about Hitler?

http://omarcus.tv/2011/01/09/hitler-the-sitcom/

Hi Jon Ben.

This is the first time I have ever heard of it!

Not surprised it was binned though.

Probably a bit Third Reich >_<

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Oh my gord I loved it!!! It was relentless! Why oh why can we not be adult about this and remember it is a COMEDY, it's escapism, not reality. There was massive comedy potential in there and they were milking it brilliantly. It was just as much a parody of the old US style studio sitcoms as it was a comedy about its subject, The Hitlers, anyway!

Where HAS our sense of humour gone? Okay, don't put it on a public channel maybe, I agree, but I don't know why comedy lovers can't get it on pay per view or even DVD. If you don't want to see it, don't buy it. We're adult enough surely to know it's a COMEDY, not a pro nazi propaganda show. Oh well, at least we have that gem of a clip to watch, that was non PC heaven. imo
Laughing out loud

Heil Honey is part of sitcom legend. It was made for a satellite TV channel when satellite TV was in its infancy, and cancelled after one episode when viewers complained about it being in bad taste. In actual fact I think the show was misunderstood - it was supposed to be a clever riff on those corny old American sitcoms from the 50s.

It actually would've made a good sketch - in fact I could well-imagine it as a sketch on Mitchell & Webb or something. But not Tramadol Nights - I've a feeling Frankie might push it a tad too far. :)

By the way - how much does Hitler sound like Fred Flintstone in this?

Entire pilot episode here: http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/comedy/watch/v19289829WCnYmyCR

Well Mel Brooks took a similar idea with the Porudcers and made it sing.

As it is this one kinda went "Hitler....the sitcom" and didn't do any more with it.

Alas.

Goes to show the more controversial, the harder it is to be funny.

Agree with Lee, funny idea for a sketch but hard to see how you'd sustain it for a series.

Quote: chipolata @ January 10 2011, 12:02 PM GMT

Agree with Lee, funny idea for a sketch but hard to see how you'd sustain it for a series.

I imagine they would annex ITV 4+1 and Dave before invading the BBC.

All gays, gypsies and Jews would be rounded up and placed in a ghetto (Channel 5).

Quote: Will Cam @ January 10 2011, 12:07 PM GMT

All gays, gypsies and Jews would be rounded up and placed in a ghetto (Channel 5).

That's a pogrom I'd like to see.

The show, written by Geoff Atkinson (Spitting Image, Rory Bremner, Jo Brand) was part of a huge package of shows made over nine months in 1990 by BSB (British Satellite Broadcasting) which hardly anyone saw, due to the fact that you needed a 'squariel' to view it. Squariel was to Sky's satellite dish what Betamax was to VHS. Pretty soon the company was taken over by Sky (hence BSkyB) and the comedy department was axed.

Lee I'd be very surprised if the show was axed because of complaints from viewers. I worked on a daily topical show called 'Up Yer News', so there must have been 150+ episodes made, but I've yet to meet a soul who saw it on TV.

Quote: sootyj @ January 10 2011, 12:01 PM GMT

Well Mel Brooks took a similar idea with the Porudcers and made it sing.

As it is this one kinda went "Hitler....the sitcom" and didn't do any more with it.

Alas.

Goes to show the more controversial, the harder it is to be funny.

Yes it was very very Mel Brooks wasn't it. I bet he loves it, or would love it.

It didn't have to do much more than say "Hitler, the sitcom" though, imo. That is a massively funny statement on its own. And I think they could have squeezed out a very funny whole series, myself, I would've loved to have seen their portrayal of Churchill, probably a borish drunk.

But according to the article, the series was indeed recorded - my god, that's undiscovered gold dust!! Somebody in TV land, with dosh and/or power, please, get Murdoch to put that series out in some kind of way! (Is it still Murdoch?) That MUST be made available to view in some way.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ January 10 2011, 12:26 PM GMT

Yes it was very very Mel Brooks wasn't it. I bet he loves it, or would love it. It didn't have to do much more than say "Hitler, the sitcom" though, imo. That is a massively funny statement on its own. And I think they could have squeezed out a very funny whole series, myself, I would've loved to have seen their portrayal of Churchill, probably a borish drunk. But according to the article, the series was indeed recorded - my god, that's undiscovered gold dust!! Somebody in TV land, with dosh and/or power, please, get Murdoch to put that series out in some kind of way! (Is it still Murdoch?) That MUST be made available to view in some way.

You're getting quite excited about this, Kipper.

Funny. Inspired. Clever. Brave.

I echo Alfy KippsĀ© comments re tolerance and comedy.

It wasn't outside mein kampfort zone, but I can appreciate why it didnt go any fuhrer.

Quote: Lee Henman @ January 10 2011, 11:55 AM GMT

... it was supposed to be a clever riff on those corny old American sitcoms from the 50s.

Similar to Trey Parker and Matt Stone's sitcom about George and Laura Bush, That's My Bush, but perhaps not as funny.

Quote: Lee Henman @ January 10 2011, 11:55 AM GMT

By the way - how much does Hitler sound like Fred Flintstone in this?

Yes.

Quote: chipolata @ January 10 2011, 12:02 PM GMT

Disagree. Loads of possibilities for a series.

Quote: Juan Kerr @ January 10 2011, 12:57 PM GMT

Funny. Inspired. Clever. Brave.

Having only viewed the first 9 minutes it struck me as being merely 'silly', which is not a bad thing. Nothing terribly brave about Hitler comedy. He's been a comedy staple from Chaplin to Spike Milligan; even the Pythons had their Mr Hitler sketch.

Quote: Anorak @ January 10 2011, 12:22 PM GMT

T

Lee I'd be very surprised if the show was axed because of complaints from viewers. I worked on a daily topical show called 'Up Yer News', so there must have been 150+ episodes made, but I've yet to meet a soul who saw it on TV.

Yeah, maybe it was just partly then. It's Wiki page says "Only the pilot was ever screened, although eight episodes were planned and a number were recorded. The filming of the series was cancelled immediately by Sky (BSkyB) on its acquisition of British Satellite Broadcasting. This was probably due in part to the ire that accompanied the first episode."