What's your view on laughter tracks? Page 2

I like laughter tracks on studio sitcoms but find them jarring sometimes on other types comedy. Alan Partridge 1 & 2 in particular could really do without them.

I heard a really interesting piece on a podcast (This American Life I believe) that focussed on an incident surrounding an old studio sitcom called The Nanny, where the star had recieved death threats which led to the set being closed to a regular audience. Their solution was to approach an acting agency which selected the best laughers from their books to make up a 'fake' audience. They ended up doing such a good job that they became highly demanded and were let out to a whole host of sitcoms. In the end the agency tailored their service almost exclusively to productions requiring really good laugh tracks.

That's the worst thing; when a series never had a laughter track and then suddenly it does. >_<

Re-the use of agency extras. I had a mate who did that sort of work (usually as Special armed police unit him and his mates had the uniforms, so they got called) He regularly was called to be in audiences for the early few ep's of unknown shows just to make up numbers. Though I don't think he was well known for his laugh. He also told me an awful lot of Quiz shows use extras as contestants, especially in their first/try out runs.

Quote: sidecar jon @ January 5 2011, 2:43 PM GMT

I remember MASH being without a laugh track, then suddenly it had one and seemed utterly ruined...

I totally agree. I think I mentioned that about 3 years ago.

If you want to see Blackadder without a laughter track, get the original DVD release of Blackadder: Back & Forth.

My opinion toward The Office has mellowed somewhat, but it doesn't raise more than the odd chuckle.

I think the original post's question is a bit of a misdirected one: as implied in other responses, certain types of shows and types of humour work better with a laughter track, whilst others are best without. It's not a question of laugh track but of comedy style.

And personally, I vastly prefer those types of comedies that work best with an audience's laughter. Long may they continue.

Quote: Aaron @ January 5 2011, 9:23 PM GMT

My opinion toward The Office has mellowed somewhat, but it doesn't raise more than the odd chuckle.

I think I'm going the opposite way. As much as I loved it on it's original run. The repeats aren't quite as effective as I know what's going to happen. But interestingly the same can't be said for something like Fawlty Towers, which I've watched as far back as I remember and it still makes me laugh out loud.

Quote: Aaron @ January 5 2011, 9:23 PM GMT

I think the original post's question is a bit of a misdirected one: as implied in other responses, certain types of shows and types of humour work better with a laughter track, whilst others are best without. It's not a question of laugh track but of comedy style.

This.

And personally, I vastly prefer those types of comedies that work best with an audience's laughter. Long may they continue.

And this.

The Office is OK, I prefer the US one though, mostly because it doesn't have Gervais in it.

Laugh tracks should be burned every Sunday night, with the empty pizza boxes, happy meal containers and doodle pads used to scribble on, during technical phone calls.

Having moved from Scotland to Canada, laugh tracks drill a steely cavity in my brain on a daily basis, so no matter how little (or not at all) .. they are present in current British Comedies, I know which I prefer. American's laugh at fresh air, or completely miss the point of "our proud comedy industry".

So, what was the question again, never mind, throw in a laugh track and it will appear that I never missed a beat *sarcastic wink*

... I'll get me coat!!

All the best,
Cal :)

Quote: GGdown @ January 5 2011, 11:15 PM GMT

The Office is OK, I prefer the US one though, mostly because it doesn't have Gervais in it.

.. you should be drowned in a rusty old bucket for saying such things!!!

Anyone who prefers the USA rip-off, needs a nice padded straitjacket and a lemony green prison cell (and a bar of Kwik-Safe Soap stuffed in their mouth)

All the best,
Cal :)

I am quite fond of canned laughter in old cartoon shows, especially Scooby Doo.

I think there's a difference between a laugh track and a show performed in front of an audience. Genuine laughter doesn't get in the way of a good line and comedy definitely benefits from an audience reaction. You write something, you think it's funny; the producer reads it, thinks it's funny; the actors work it, think it's funny; the audience hears it, doesn't laugh. It's not funny. I suggest everything appropriate should be recorded with an audience if only so the actors can time the comedy, then if the laughter gets in the way, take it out.

Quote: SivoxII @ January 11 2011, 6:03 AM GMT

Anyone who prefers the USA rip-off,

Rip off??

Both versions are great.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 11 2011, 9:11 AM GMT

Rip off??

Both versions are great.

I'm with you. Two very different shows with the same premise, but absolutely two separate beasts. Love them both for different reasons.

Quote: Kenneth @ January 11 2011, 6:34 AM GMT

I am quite fond of canned laughter in old cartoon shows, especially Scooby Doo.

Canned?

I had always assumed Scooby Doo was filmed in front of a live studio audience...

Quote: David Bussell @ January 5 2011, 3:09 PM GMT

I like laughter tracks on studio sitcoms but find them jarring sometimes on other types comedy. Alan Partridge 1 & 2 in particular could really do without them.

Isn't there an option on the DVD that means you can listen without the laughter?