What's your view on laughter tracks?

I'm a big fan of Not Going Out, and I've read a few reviews that complain about the laughter track, because all the new trendy comedies don't have them. People say things like 'they're trying to tell us when something was funny!' I don't think they are, I just think they're a traditional part of comedies. All the comedies I watched growing up had them; it's almost as if they are reassuring. Like a familiar scent in your home. OK, that was a really weird thing to say, but you know what I mean. Huh? In fact, I notice them when they're not there much more than when they are.

Do you think laughter tracks are still relevant, or think they are out dated?

(Sorry if there is already a thread for this. Also, I wasn't sure if I should have posted it in the sitcom section or not. And sorry for rambling; I've got no work in the morning.)

:)

Well I've been to several recordings of Not Going Out and the laughter tracks are genuine.

Laughter tracks these days are not fake. They record sitcoms in front of a live-studio audience to see if the jokes are working.

I'm not sure why they used audiences when sitcoms were broadcast live, maybe it was just let the TV audience at home know what kind of show they were watching and so could dive straight into it.

I don't mind hearing the laughter-track. Although when it's too loud or the audience laugh at dumb things, it does bug me.

When shows don't have a laugh-track/audience it may be because of a low-budget or it doesn't fit the mood of the comedy. Some a few years ago could be accused of doing it because it was cool. But it's just something that happened. And hopefully it will balance itself out again soon enough. Or until the next trend comes along.

Here's hoping for bawdy humour.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to say I thought the laughter on NGO wasn't geniune.

Personally I think it depends on the style of show, like good ol' school style sitcoms like NGO or Blackadder suits them, while things that have new ideas (for example Peep Show, with it POV format) don't really.

Wouldn't something like The Office be weird with laughter? And that's not just because we've only known it without it, it really would be odd.

I would like to see Blackadder (the character) performed like that. Although it is rather silly, so it might not translate well. But Edmund is a great character with lots of depth.

That would be pretty cool, actually.

Quote: Lassoon @ January 5 2011, 1:23 AM GMT

Wouldn't something like The Office be weird with laughter? And that's not just because we've only known it without it, it really would be odd.

Well, before Aaron gets in there. There was lots of laughter when watching it. ;)

It's made in such a way that an audience laughing all over it, may take away some of the subtly of the performances.

Quote: Leevil @ January 5 2011, 1:30 AM GMT

It's made in such a way that an audience laughing all over it, may take away some of the subtly of the performances.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. A laughter track definitely would have been out of place.

I don't know Aaron all that well. Did he like The Office? I did.

Quote: Lassoon @ January 5 2011, 1:36 AM GMT

I don't know Aaron all that well. Did he like The Office? I did.

I'll let him answer that Pleased

Yikes, that sounds ominous. Huh?

Anyway, I had better get to bed. Thanks for your replies, guys! :)

Quote: Leevil @ January 5 2011, 1:14 AM GMT

I'm not sure why they used audiences when sitcoms were broadcast live,

I would assume it was for the performers.

(But knickers, I shall be watching!)

Laughter tracks are still great for the right show, but on some, such as Reggie I do find them too loud and intrusive. They can actually debase or devalue a sitcom if not handled carefully, I think that is one of Gervais's arguments against them.

I remember MASH being without a laugh track, then suddenly it had one and seemed utterly ruined...

I think they're great, which I why I've hired a group of professional laughers to accompany me on all my day to day errands, be they taking a trip to the banana peel factory, travelling coach on long distance flights or simply visiting an eccentric shopkeeper.

Yep, ruined, that became an infamous act of sitcom vandalism that one. I think it was v late in the series wasn't it, and ratings were dwindling anyway. Someone decided 'well let's give this a go.' Oh dear. I don't think it's the only sitcom either that had a change during the run, I'm sure I've heard of others. Huh?