Subtitles

Hi. I buy a lot of DVDs, mainly TV comedy series, and would like to buy more...but as a deaf viewer who relies totally on the provision of subtitles, this isn't always possible as numerous DVDs are still being released without subtitles.

One of the biggest culprits of this is Network DVD who have a fantastic range of old comedy programmes - all released WITHOUT subtitles!

It's not just DVDs - the Comedy Central digital TV channel doesn't subtitle any of its output.

I realise it costs extra to provide subtitles but I would have thought both Network and Comedy Central could find the budget for this - after all, many smaller companies are able to do so.

The only way this situation will be improved is if enough people complain about this and request subtitles. I have contacted both Network and Comedy Central about this but one letter/e-mail from one person won't make much difference.
If anyone is interested in this matter, please contact the relevant companies and politely request the inclusion of subtitles. Many thanks.
:) :)

If anyone is interested in this matter, please contact the relevant companies and politely request the inclusion of subtitles.

I doubt you'll find many BCGers doing that, because it requires a modicum of effort.

You're probably better off creating an online petition.

I can't answer about Comedy Central - they do some very odd things like broadcasting almost everything 4:3, occasionally with horizontal bars - but Network's is, I'm sure, just down to availability vs cost.

Most companies provide subtitles because the show is a recent production and so readily available from the broadcaster, whilst others are affiliated to, or just British branches of, bigger multinational companies. Acorn, for example, appear pretty small but are a big American distributor, so it makes sense for them to invest the time and money in producing subtitles.

For Network though, it's a small company with little if any overseas presence that I'm aware of. They rely on pumping as much out as quickly as possible, with most of the time the bare minimum done to get it to a releasable state. I assume they've got some kind of blanket rights agreement with ITV making each show relatively cheap to distribute, but the niche nature of much of it must mean the financial returns aren't very large.

I've noticed the odd comment on Amazon on the Birds of a Feather releases regarding their lack of subtitles.

Personally I think it's down right discrimination, money is (but shouldn't be) used as an excuse by them. Even DVDs that cost a quid can be found with subtitles. It should be law that every release has them (obviously not silent films before anyone starts).

They'll be taking away the sound next so blind people can't hear anything.

Good point well made Comedy Bloke.
I've sent emails on this subject before, maybe I'll try nudging them again.

My deaf friends in the United States have had a bit of success in lobbying the media giants so I hope you do, too.