Coupling Page 5

Quote: swerytd @ January 5 2011, 12:43 PM GMT

And Friends is probably the best sitcom ever written.

Dan

Teary

Quote: Griff @ January 5 2011, 12:57 PM GMT

I like that way of coming up with characters too. I've read that Graham Linehan did that with The IT Crowd- Roy is him in his 20s, and Moss is him in his teens.

I've tried this but ended up with three variously-aged miserable, grumpy bastards...

Dan

I wish somebody would repeat Joking Apart, that to me is the definitive Moffat sitcom.

Quote: chipolata @ January 5 2011, 6:32 PM GMT

I wish somebody would repeat Joking Apart, that to me is the definitive Moffat sitcom.

Totally agree. That's probably the best written sitcom in my opinion. Not repeated but the DVDs are available here and here (the guy who produced it was a fan who learnt how to put a DVD release together primarily so it was released on DVD, so well done him).

Dan

Yes, but what do you mean by well written?
Huh?

Quote: peter gazzard @ January 5 2011, 9:09 AM GMT

Humourwisw Coupling was more akin to Game On IMO. Cold Feet was like a more dramatic Friends

I loved Cold Feet. Reminds me to buy it all on DVD.

Obviously Coupling is a rip-off of Friends but at least it's watchable. I just cringe when Friends is on. It is the archetypal American sitcom - and I don't mean that in a good way.

Quote: peter gazzard @ January 5 2011, 9:09 AM GMT

Cold Feet was like a more dramatic Friends

True, and without the non-stop gags even more insufferable.

Quote: chipolata @ January 5 2011, 6:32 PM GMT

That starred my close personal showbiz friend Tracie Bennett.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ January 5 2011, 8:11 PM GMT

That starred my close personal showbiz friend Tracie Bennett.

:)

She's a babe really.

Quote: Badge @ January 5 2011, 7:25 PM GMT

Yes, but what do you mean by well written?
Huh?

Just perfect farce. Everything gets so ridiculous and then goes a notch further before being wrapped up neatly at the end.

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ January 6 2011, 9:37 AM GMT

Just perfect farce. Everything gets so ridiculous and then goes a notch further before being wrapped up neatly at the end.

Dan

You're obviously talking about Friends.

Quote: Timbo @ December 30 2010, 1:42 PM GMT

Coupling resembled Friends about as much as Early Doors resembled Cheers.

Coupling went where Friends never dared to go. The difference between the oddball and the absurd. I go for the absurd. It is amazing how the loss of Geoff (or was it Jeff? I never noticed) made everything go flat.

Quote: swerytd @ January 5 2011, 12:43 PM GMT

And Friends is probably the best sitcom ever written.

Tuumble is sending for the men in white coats.

Quote: Geimle Burzeen @ January 12 2011, 1:37 AM GMT

Coupling went where Friends never dared to go. The difference between the oddball and the absurd. I go for the absurd. It is amazing how the loss of Geoff (or was it Jeff? I never noticed) made everything go flat.

It was Jeff. I liked the way he was written out; Lesbos was exactly the sort of place he would have gone to.

Series 4 was a letdown and I didn't bother watching the DVDs I got for ages. When I did go back it actually worked far better than I remembered so it is worth a revisit if you can.

I've said before that the best thing about that DVD is the documentary 'From Script to Screen' which covers the whole process from writing, read throughs, props, rehearsals, recording etc. If you see it cheap I would recommend it for that alone.