Coupling Page 4

No offence to anyone, but it's a facile point used only by people who dislike the show to diminish it.

It's also Friends and Seinfeld meets Sex in the City.

It's also the Comedy This Life. Or The Non Sci Fi Tomorrow People.

Quote: chipolata @ January 4 2011, 10:03 PM GMT

No offence to anyone, but it's a facile point used only by people who dislike the show to diminish it.

I think people are getting mixed up here. I like Coupling, I don't think it was much like Friends, but Friends was obviously used as a way to try and sell the show to the public.

Now, anyone who says Coupling really was just like Friends is wrong.

Quote: Griff @ January 4 2011, 10:10 PM GMT

Not by me. I think Friends is great. I'm lukewarm at best about Coupling.

I too love Friends. I like Coupling as well, and see them as different types of shows with superficial similarities. Like Larry Sanders and Alan Partridge. On the surface similar, but actually different beasts.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ January 4 2011, 9:26 PM GMT

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000797E5/comedyguide-20/

I think this means the first line of the DVD cover says "Known as the British Friends".

Likely, but not necessarily.

And by at least one person who loves it.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ December 30 2010, 1:42 AM GMT

I like it a lot. It used to be on BBC America all the time so I got into it in quite a big way.

Very inventively plotted scripts. Definitely got Moffat's fingerprints on them. If you liked the split-screen ep, check out "The Girl with Two Breasts". Even better.

The main problem with the show is Jack Davenport being a f**king appalling comic actor, obviously. Once you get past that, it's aces.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ January 4 2011, 10:54 PM GMT

And by at least one person who loves it.

I hope you don't expect me to read your posts in full, Murphy. That's just crazy.

My quote

Quote: Godot Taxis @ December 31 2010, 4:47 PM GMT

Just to clarify I meant pitched to the audience, not to the industry. F**k knows how it was pitched to production people - and f**k knows what Moffat thought he was writing - presumably something urbane, sexy and funny in a tall glass.

Your response

Quote: Timbo @ January 4 2011, 9:15 PM GMT

Whatever he thought he was writing it certainly wasn't Friends and I really doubt that any of the show's fans thought of it in those terms, so I am not sure what point you think you are making.

I'm starting to wonder if you're not just a bit thick, Timbo...

Did anyone else think that Coupling was the British version of Friends?

Like Griff, not by me either. Friends is very, very funny.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ January 5 2011, 1:57 AM GMT

Like Griff, not by me either. Friends is very, very funny.

My point wasn't a dig at Friends, as I love that show . It was more a comment on lazy-arsed knobshites who just dismiss Coupling as a blatant ripoff of it. Coupling has its faults, it can be a bit smug and self-satisfied, but it's certainly not some souless immitation of Friends.

Humour-wise, Coupling was more akin to Game On IMO. Cold Feet was like a more dramatic Friends.

I think Coupling is ace. It is nothing like Friends. And Friends is probably the best sitcom ever written.

I don't really understand the comparisons, bar it being three blokes and three women.

I've always liked the way Moffat came up with the characters: Steve and Susan were him and his wife 'normal', Sally and Jeff them at their most neurotic and Patrick and Jane at their most confident. Good way of coming up with characters when writing.

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ January 5 2011, 12:43 PM GMT

I think Coupling is ace.

You're the third person to use that word in this thread.

"Ace"

Works with Coupling. I would find it harder to apply to, say, Tramadol Nights, Blue Jam or Nighty Night.