Catchphrases - a thing of the past? Page 6

I just logged on to this thread thinking it was fantastic news. Catchphrases are a thing of the past! Sadly I saw the question and realised it was only a debate.

In an interview I was asked what 3 superpowers I wanted. Top of my list was a deathray that instantly vaporised the catchphrase and writer at the time of its conception.

Does anyone need claryfing on where I stand on this issue?

Quote: SlagA @ June 20, 2007, 7:56 PM

conception.

Does anyone need claryfing on where I stand on this issue?

That's a great catchphrase slag can I use it Laughing out loud

Only as long as you remove the spelling mistake that I made.
:$
:D

I find them charming sometimes, like in the fast show and even little britain (the latter only on occasion), but they're mostly just annoying ringtone shit :)

I find the most endearing thing about catchphrases is when there's a group of kids shrieking "Yes, Sir; No, Sir; Yes, Sir ..." or "whatever" inducing fits of hilarity and attracting the admiring glances of their peers, as if they'd conceived the catchphrase themselves.

It's at that point I'm glad the cops confiscated my shotgun.

Quote: SlagA @ June 20, 2007, 9:42 PM

I find the most endearing thing about catchphrases is when there's a group of kids shrieking "Yes, Sir; No, Sir; Yes, Sir ..." or "whatever" inducing fits of hilarity and attracting the admiring glances of their peers, as if they'd conceived the catchphrase themselves.

It's at that point I'm glad the cops confiscated my shotgun.

Eh, What do you find endearing?

You can't decide what your catchphrase is. The best ones are those which the public catch on to. Hence, "catch" phrase.

You can if its the only thing you say 'this week i've been mostly eating...'

Quote: Retinend @ June 21, 2007, 3:25 PM

Eh, What do you find endearing?

I was using sarcasm.

:P

Good moaning.

Quote: SlagA @ June 20, 2007, 7:56 PM

In an interview I was asked what 3 superpowers I wanted. Top of my list was a deathray that instantly vaporised the catchphrase and writer at the time of its conception.

Ooh, you are awful. But I like you.

ZAP!

... Owie.

'awight?

F**ker.

Quote: Treenifer @ May 28, 2007, 7:57 PM

After remembering that Mitchell and Webb, to put it technically, owned Catherine Tate, I wondered if anyone else felt that the need for catchphrases is less powerful then in the heat of Little Britain.

I mean, I've never heard anyone say 'numberwang' and the last time I heard anyone say 'Am I bovvered?' was about a month ago, thank God.

I personally like comedy without giant laughs just for a four syllable phrase, but I wanted to see if anyone else shared this view?

Like 'em or hate 'em. The marmite of comedy.

He's the kinda guy you either love or hate. I like 'im.
Don't know who you are but that's a great image you got there. Respect.

I don't totally hate catchphrases, a lot of my favourite shows used them, like Lee & Herring's Fist of Fun and This Morning With Richard NOT Judy. Also Arrested Development and Seinfeld. Thing is though with those shows the main joke was never the catchphrase, it wasn't just a build up to get to the catchphrase, it was more of an extra joke and air of familiarity at the end of it.