Catchphrases - a thing of the past? Page 3

What's the definition of a catchphrase?

Interesting question. Something by which a character becomes known.

Ooh you are awful! ...But I like you.

Del has loads. "This time next year we'll be millionaires"; "He who dares, wins"; "You know it makes sense"; "Mum said to me on her death bed ... "; "Stay lucky!"; "You plonker/dipstick/tart/wally" etc, not to mention all the French phrases. And even Albert has one, "During the war ... " It's probably the only sitcom where the main character has a good few catchphrases as opposed to just one ("I don't believe it", for instance).

You wouldn't let it lie!!

Ah, the 90s...

Quote: Aaron @ May 30, 2007, 11:25 AM

Yeah, but that's just due to the people you hang around with. Mainly Cheryl. If we're honest. ;)

But... who's Cheryl? :S

Quote: zooo @ May 30, 2007, 5:19 PM

You wouldn't let it lie!!

"Oh Vic, I've fallen"

Margeret! - Little Britain

What a kerfufel - Little Britain

What in the name of bloody hell! - Victor Medlrew

Dear God! - Frasier

Quote: zooo @ May 30, 2007, 5:19 PM

But... who's Cheryl? :S

Cheryl. Cheeky Chezzy Woo. Whatever she's calling herself these days. No idea. You have a photo of her in your Photobucket though.

Reece Shearsmith obsessive.

Most writers who I have read/heard on the subject seem to say that you can't write a catchphrase - they just become apparent when you put the lines in front of an audience. But that must be bollocks because Gervais/Merchant wrote "Are you 'aving a laugh?" as a catchphrase for Extras.

Hang on though, maybe that only worked as a catchphrase because they told everyone it was a catchphrase?

Hmmm. I 'm confusing myself.

At this point, if I was Charley I'd go off into some well-vowelled innuendo about self-pleasure, but I've run out of steam.

Quote: Badge @ May 30, 2007, 10:34 PM

Most writers who I have read/heard on the subject seem to say that you can't write a catchphrase - they just become apparent when you put the lines in front of an audience. But that must be bollocks because Gervais/Merchant wrote "Are you 'aving a laugh?" as a catchphrase for Extras.

Hang on though, maybe that only worked as a catchphrase because they told everyone it was a catchphrase?

Hmmm. I 'm confusing myself.

At this point, if I was Charley I'd go off into some well-vowelled innuendo about self-pleasure, but I've run out of steam.

The whole thing about Extras series 2 was it was a sitcom within a sitcom. It was all manufactured so they made up the "Are you having a laugh?" as a basic catchphrase. Some of the others I understand happened by accident.

Yeah, I think I said that. :S

That's me all over though. I hear these voices and write it down. Sometimes they're in my head and sometimes they're somewhere else.

Quote: David Chapman @ May 28, 2007, 8:19 PM

What wasn't? Extras?

Course it was. It was a (debatable to some although I quite enjoyed it) Comedy in a situation - Andy Millman was trying to get work as an Extra.

The catch phrase was in the sitcom within the sitcom.

The wholse set up was poor, though. The show was great in itself, but the sitcom they were appearing in was a pastiche, a comment on sitcom itself. It was ironic (meant to be) that a show which was moving comedy forward was also having a pop on the more traditional type of sitcom.

The whole thing hinged in the second series on Andys' unhappiness that this show had made him into a single dimensional character. That's how it seemed to me.

It was a satirical swipe at catchphrases.

what about 'Allo, 'Allo, practically built on catchphrases? :)

"You stuuuupid woman!!!!!!!!!"