General, General Thread Page 2,752

Apparently the big attraction in my home town at the moment is a large lorry.
Families are standing around in the cold just looking at a parked vehicle with Coca Cola written on it.
And I used to think it was a cultural desert.

Why?

Previously the highlight of the social calendar would be watching big blokes trudge around a muddy field trying to catch a ball.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 6th September 2016, 7:37 PM

Thanks, but these titles don't sound familiar to me. Aren't these radio episodes?

Edit: No, you're right. These are TV episodes...but probably all wiped!

Dunno how I missed this, but it could be when I was in the wilderness or even (?????) never expected to see summat about The Lad Himself under G.G. Thread :S

Warren Mitchell was in one of the best Hancock's ever - "The Poetry Society" and very good he was too. If you have never listened to it, give yourself a treat as it is brilliant and also has the smouldering Fenella Fielding in it. (to my surprise, my son's school sixth form did this about 20 years ago and I have to say they were excellent!!)

Pretty sure there are no surviving TV episodes with Warren in.

'Incandescence', by William.
Hick, hack, hock,
Rinky tinky on purple grass,
Shafts of light, hob-nail boots,
Tramping down the bamboo,
That grows upwards, downwards, sideways,
Into the Concrete Cosmos,
Life is mauve,
I am orange,
Hick, hack, hock.

Should that be 'hic. haec, hoc? I don't know.

Quote: wigwam willy @ 26th November 2016, 7:35 PM

'Incandescence', by William.
Hick, hack, hock,
Rinky tinky on purple grass,
Shafts of light, hob-nail boots,
Tramping down the bamboo,
That grows upwards, downwards, sideways,
Into the Concrete Cosmos,
Life is mauve,
I am orange,
Hick, hack, hock.

Laughing out loud And there are still wankers writing "poetry" like that today.

Hancock tries to ingratiate himself with the poetry society members:-

Hancock: "Tin Can? Tin Can; yes, let's see, I think I'll lean up against the fireplace with one arm up, suggesting the lid's being opened."

And later, Sid's offering:-

'Limbo.' by Sidney.
Mauve world, green me,
Black him, purple her,
Yellow us, pink you,
Lead pipes, fortune made,
Six-to-four, come in second,
Green country, blue Haringey,
And White City.
Hick. Hike. Hock.

Quote: keewik @ 26th November 2016, 8:43 PM

Should that be 'hic. haec, hoc? I don't know.

You could well be right, but we are talking Bill Kerr, spinster of this parish here.

Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw have a book" Universal:A guide to the Cosmos" which offers an explanation as to why we seem to be alone in the universe.

" When they get to a certain point of development, all civilizations probably produce both extraordinarily powerful weapons, and also destructive greenhouse gases. But they do not produce a political or social system which can handle these things. And so, either by ruining their own atmosphere by pollution from industry and transport, or by engaging in mutually destructive warfare, each civilisation destroys itself. So that's why we on the Earth, in defiance of all rational expectation, are on our own. All other developing civilisations either have not got to the point of trying to communicate, or have destroyed themselves"

We are alright now though,Trump is here.

Quote: wigwam willy @ 28th November 2016, 9:47 PM

We are alright now though,Trump is here.

Yes, indeed!

Quote: wigwam willy @ 28th November 2016, 9:47 PM

Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw have a book" Universal:A guide to the Cosmos" which offers an explanation as to why we seem to be alone in the universe.

" When they get to a certain point of development, all civilizations probably produce both extraordinarily powerful weapons, and also destructive greenhouse gases. But they do not produce a political or social system which can handle these things. And so, either by ruining their own atmosphere by pollution from industry and transport, or by engaging in mutually destructive warfare, each civilisation destroys itself. So that's why we on the Earth, in defiance of all rational expectation, are on our own. All other developing civilisations either have not got to the point of trying to communicate, or have destroyed themselves."

Sounds like a classic case of looking at strange and unknown worlds through the lens of their own experience...with a touch of political posturing added in.

All a civilization needs is energy, and there are plenty of ways to generate or harness it without creating greenhouse gasses. A planet with abundant geothermal activity could power their civilization without burning fossil fuel. The same goes for fusion, solar and who knows what else.

The only reason that we seem to be alone is that we've only been around a relatively short time and the distances between solar systems are incredibly huge. It's unlikely that we're alone and it's even more unlikely that we're alone because the rest of the universe's civilizations destroyed themselves in the exact same way that modern scientists claim that we're destroying ourselves.

Yes,very...
anthropocentric

adj.
3. viewing and interpreting everything in terms of human experience and values.

Well I have stayed for a bit, but I don't like it here

We shan't miss each other/

There's a very bright planet under the moon right now. Venus maybe? It looks kind of orangey.

Quote: zooo @ 3rd December 2016, 6:44 PM

There's a very bright planet under the moon right now. Venus maybe? It looks kind of orangey.

It's Mars. Venus looks white.

Ooh, even better.