General, General Thread Page 2,751

All wiped as far as I know. Hence the attempt to remake some missing episodes on Tv and radio. There are some early shows still in existence like one with Kenneth Williams - The Alpine Holiday. Hattie Jacques - The Cruise and Dick Emery was in a couple such as The Poison Pen Letter. Bill Kerr never appeared as far as I know. Hancock liked to work with straight actors, however many of these became comedy stars themselves later like Hugh Lloyd and Patrick Cargill. Mitchell himself was in everything from The Saint to The Avengers to The Frankie Howerd show. Garnett must be one of the most prolific characters in comedy, you had Till Death Us Do Part, two films, a sequel ITV series Till Death and the long running In Sickness and Health. As well as stage shows such as the Thoughts of Chairman Alf and various Garnett appearances on entertainment shows

Quote: Muddlecombe @ 7th September 2016, 10:15 AM

Mitchell himself was in everything from The Saint to The Avengers to The Frankie Howerd show. Garnett must be one of the most prolific characters in comedy, you had Till Death Us Do Part, two films, a sequel ITV series Till Death and the long running In Sickness and Health. As well as stage shows such as the Thoughts of Chairman Alf and various Garnett appearances on entertainment shows

Saw that at the Theatre Royal, Stratford East.

He was absolutely incredible as Willy Loman in Death Of A Salesman at the National Theatre. One of the best theatre performances I've seen - and I've seen quite a few big names over the years - and one of the best productions, easily Top Five.

He was a brilliant actor, sadly I think the Garnett character may of stifled his career a little, as with others like Leo McKern and Rumpole etc. But then to have a role as iconic and controversial and historic in cultural terms is a gift only few are given

Quote: Muddlecombe @ 7th September 2016, 10:15 AM

...the long running In Sickness and Health...

I'm watching this at the moment. Didn't like the first series that much although the chemistry between Mitchell and Nichols was great.
Now I'm three episodes into series two and really enjoying it. Mitchell is still great but the additional characters make it even better.

There was an ITV series before that one called Till Death made by ITV, I'm not sure if it has been wiped or not. I seem to remember enjoying it at the time. Alf, Else and their widowed neighbour have retired to Eastbourne, it was a nice three hander with Mitchell, Nichols and the wonderful Patricia Hayes. Una Stubbs and their Grandson feature a lot as I recall, although it was a long time agao

Quote: Muddlecombe @ 7th September 2016, 9:13 PM

may of stifled his career

AAAGHH!!!

Aaron? Can you do something?

Quote: Chappers @ 8th September 2016, 7:38 PM

AAAGHH!!!

Aaron? Can you do something?

Even I have noticed it. Barbarian!

Mitchell though grateful for the income was a confirmed lefty and was concerned by members of the audience who laughed with Garnett and not at him as intended, especially on occasions when people cheered at obviously racist jokes in the stage show. Like Speight this was never his intention. As for his career, it was rich and he was grateful to the Garnett character for the income it generated, but looking at his obituaries they were full of the obvious Alf is dead headings, as opposed to his masterful overall career encompassing Lear or Loman. This of course is a personal opinion, I'm not a fan of the Garnett character, it is too broad and open to misconstruction by those who like to justify their own prejudices, but its place in TV history is assured. I'm not a fan of this misty nostalgia for the days before political correctness, like some are, things have moved on and so have the mass of the audience. I hope so anyway

Laughing out loud

A leetle beet disturbing.

Why does he look on stills as if he's constantly screaming like a mad man?

It's his true self coming through.

And babies can tell.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 25th November 2016, 10:00 AM

A leetle beet disturbing.

Why does he look on stills as if he's constantly screaming like a mad man?

Because he usually is.

Quote: keewik @ 25th November 2016, 3:27 PM

Because he usually is.

That's the interesting thing, he doesn't really shout that much. He hardly raised his voice in the speeches I've seen. And yet on pictures he looks like the singer of a death metal band.

All I know is that the parents of those children should be put up against a wall and shot for allowing Trump to use them.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 25th November 2016, 5:52 PM

That's the interesting thing, he doesn't really shout that much. He hardly raised his voice in the speeches I've seen. And yet on pictures he looks like the singer of a death metal band.

Laughing out loud