General, General Thread Page 2,512

:) A 'blue-moon' what is that please??

I think it refers to the rarity rather than the colour.

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/space/stories/last-chance-to-see-blue-moon-until-2015

Thankyou! I am very affected by the moon, is there a name for this, apart from 'lunatic'?? Huh?

From what I can gather there is no evidence to support the theory that anyone is affected by the lunar cycle. I think it was a historic assumption based on the fact that, because the gravitational effects of the moon affect the earth (tides etc) then, people would also feel the effects.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2012/03/27/3464601.htm

Notice, I tried to use the words affect and effect as much as possible. Whistling nnocently

But we're mainly water, almost tiny oceans, so you'd think it might have some effect. I like to think so anyway.

What of the werewolves?

Quote: Nicky Liar @ August 30 2012, 11:10 AM BST

From what I can gather there is no evidence to support the theory that anyone is affected by the lunar cycle.

We know the tides are affected by the moon, and the tides affect us hugely, so we're definitely affected, if only indirectly.

Quote: Nogget @ August 30 2012, 11:20 AM BST

We know the tides are affected by the moon, and the tides affect us hugely, so we're definitely affected, if only indirectly.

Personally I am inclined to agree. The local pub where I used to frequent was always like a moth to a flame for unusual behaviour when there was a full moon. However, as the article states there is no scientific proof.

Aside, I think it quite fitting that Neil Armstrong was/will be buried on a rare blue moon.

Quote: Nicky Liar @ August 30 2012, 11:43 AM BST

Personally I am inclined to agree. The local pub where I used to frequent was always like a moth to a flame for unusual behaviour when there was a full moon. However, as the article states there is no scientific proof.

Aside, I think it quite fitting that Neil Armstrong was/will be buried on a rare blue moon.

Well, it does something to my brain...I know that. Its effects affect me proper terrible.

:D My cat stays out all night on a full moon, and I always feel it is 'full moon' time of the month- even if it is cloudy? Huh?

Aside, I think it quite fitting that Neil Armstrong was/will be buried on a rare blue moon.[/quote]
Right, so not content to be the first human on the moon, he's going to be the first corpse there too?

Quote: zooo @ August 30 2012, 11:17 AM BST

What of the werewolves?

Where does that moon/werewolf link come from? What was the first werewolf story to mention it?

(I could Google this but I'm a tremendously busy man)

Real wolves are said to howl at the moon, so that's probably where the connection came from.

Quote: Oldrocker @ August 30 2012, 9:48 PM BST

Two faces that one could never tire of punching.