General, General Thread Page 2,394

Cooo !

Yes.
He miiight have looked okay if it weren't for that fluffy beard thing. But that just adds to the weird homeless look.

I've yet to see a single face improved by a beard.

Quote: zooo @ February 10 2012, 4:18 PM GMT

Yes.
He miiight have looked okay if it weren't for that fluffy beard thing. But that just adds to the weird homeless look.

How would you like it if you were left all on your own for Christmas? I blame the parents.

Quote: Oldrocker @ February 10 2012, 4:12 PM GMT

Cooo !

Is that what you nip to the Mander Centre on, Oldrocker?

Quote: chipolata @ February 10 2012, 4:27 PM GMT

Is that what you nip to the Mander Centre on, Oldrocker?

Yeah ! I've got another, slightly different one for when I go to Whitmore Reans !

Quote: chipolata @ February 10 2012, 4:07 PM GMT

The remake could be in the works.

Is that Catweazel? A brilliant series. Always remember the 'telling bone' which exact describes it.

I read an interesting article recently about computer programmes generating art.
I technically think that if something is aesthetically pleasing then you can call it art regardless of how it's produced, but I actually feel that it's kind of a betrayal of what art and creativity is, that if there's no-one who felt anything at the other end, then no matter how good a picture/design it is, there can't be a connection, which is surely the point of creative ventures.

Thoughts? :)

Quote: AJGO @ February 12 2012, 12:35 AM GMT

I read an interesting article recently about computer programmes generating art.
I technically think that if something is aesthetically pleasing then you can call it art regardless of how it's produced, but I actually feel that it's kind of a betrayal of what art and creativity is, that if there's no-one who felt anything at the other end, then no matter how good a picture/design it is, there can't be a connection, which is surely the point of creative ventures.

Thoughts? :)

I saw a programme a while back where a woman was creating poetry by writing words on beach balls and having people throw them about until she blew a whistle, and then whatever the order of the words was she claimed to be a poem. It's a similar sort of thing, the end product may look like the outcome of a creative process, but it isn't really creativity, I don't think. I think that a good definition of art is the realisation of a creative idea - whether that is replicating an image you had in your head or exploring ideas and techniques to see what emerges, there has to be some reasoned intention behind it. I don't think that a computer can be an artist, but perhaps if the person who designed the programme was exploring the use of computers to create art, then he/she might be an artist.

Quote: Harridan @ February 12 2012, 12:47 AM GMT

but perhaps if the person who designed the programme was exploring the use of computers to create art, then he/she might be an artist.

I thought about this too.

Quote: Harridan @ February 12 2012, 12:47 AM GMT

I saw a programme a while back where a woman was creating poetry by writing words on beach balls and having people throw them about until she blew a whistle, and then whatever the order of the words was she claimed to be a poem. It's a similar sort of thing, the end product may look like the outcome of a creative process, but it isn't really creativity, I don't think. I think that a good definition of art is the realisation of a creative idea - whether that is replicating an image you had in your head or exploring ideas and techniques to see what emerges, there has to be some reasoned intention behind it. I don't think that a computer can be an artist, but perhaps if the person who designed the programme was exploring the use of computers to create art, then he/she might be an artist.

Good point. There should be an intent for something to exist. It's the removal of the artist whether through use of computing or not that bothers me. The poetry example I agree with, but it at least aims to engage people in how words can be used and what poetry is, and there simply isn't engagement from a computer programme. But am I being snobby and pretentious because I feel like what constitutes humanity is being threatened when it's actually just a case of looking at pleasing pictures? These are the things that bother me on a Saturday night :D

I suppose it feels like cheating to have a computer create the images, but for most of history artists haven't really ever done the donkey work of actually creating the pieces themselves. Most mediaeval art was created in workshops by apprentices and if patrons wanted the actual artist to work on the pinting they had to say so explicitly (there are contracts saying that the artist had to paint the faces or the the furs etc) and today many of the most successful modern artists aren't involved in the manufacturing of their pieces, they just have the idea and get workshops to make them. It was only really a 250 year period where people were actually doing their own work!

Ha, true, can't quite put my finger on what bothers me so much and I actually disagree with my own feelings on this subject which is a rather befuddling position to be in!

I can make a willy.

8=D

*Has joined in*