People who quote films/sketches are pitiful Page 4

I saw a young comedian last year, where 3 minutes of his routine was just quoting Pulp Fiction (it had a context, but to me it just smacked of lazy writing).

That I do think it quite lazy, maybe not pitiful.

However, quoting your favourite bits of dialogue from films amongst friends isn't pitiful, you enjoy the film, it's a good bit of writing, and if people get some joy from reciting and remembering these things, and it makes them laugh (and we all know laughing is good for you), then leave them be. :D

Could someone give me some feedback on our sketches?

http://www.youtube.com/victorioussponge

wanted a comic opinion
xxxx

Not on this thread they won't.

Stick it it Critique Ollie.

okay thanks!!
xxx

Quote: MrIntelligent2 Dude @ December 11 2010, 5:45 PM GMT

I'm not sure if it's a lack of self-awareness or simply plain idiocy, but whenever I hear people quote one-liners from their favourite film/tv sketch etc, I cringe.

Don't these people realise just how stupid they sound by trying to imitate someone else's gags?

What might sound funny on screen generally sounds absolutely awful in real life, especially if you recognise the exact quote in question.

At my workplace the other day I overheard 2 colleagues giggling uncontrollably whilst re-enacting a scene from Holy Grail, whereby one of them kept repeating, 'no it isn't, it's only a scratch', to much laughter and delight from the simpletons working nearby.

When they asked why I wasn't laughing, I simply shook my head, rolled my eyes and groaned.

I've come to the conclusion that people who quote films/sketches are indeed the lamest of the lame. That is all.

I do it all the time, I don't see it as pathetic, it's nice because we watch the shows that make us laugh because it makes us happy, and to quote the right thing in the right moment can be a wonferful thing because you're relieving the genius of it, nothing wrong with that surely? It's the same way people quote litrature, philosophers or poetry......... Comedy IS my philosophy, and often my poetry too.

Quote: MrIntelligent2 Dude @ December 11 2010, 5:45 PM GMT

..../whenever I hear people quote one-liners from their favourite film/tv sketch etc, I cringe.

"The horror, the horror", Apocalypse Now (1979)

This OP is fantastic. Just an observation. :D

Interesting to note that Kanavan is now banned too it would seem. Was it the same person? He seemed a lot more chilled out...

I hope when they banned the OP they paraphrased a bit of Gandalf at him "YOU SHALL NOT POST". I think he would have appreciated that.

I agree with pretty much what everyone says here. Even worse for me was a few years ago when Little Britain first came out and EVERYONE was quoting it! OR the 'classic' Catherine Tate quotes...

I think if used cleverly or in the right context with the right people it can be funny. A game I like playing is slipping in quotes in general conversation, see if anyone gets it. A good 'un is always if someone says at the pub 'I'll have a pint of the black stuff' my retort is always 'You can't drink a pint of bovril'... Always gets a smirk out of someone

Quote: Ollie Firrell @ February 16 2011, 3:09 AM BST

Could someone give me some feedback on our sketches?

http://www.youtube.com/victorioussponge

wanted a comic opinion
xxxx

3 months late! Please stick in critique this is excelent.

What a miserable git!

That made my day.

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

But mr lister sir, are you absolutely sure you want to step up to red alert?... yes kryton, but sir, are you sure? but sir it means changing the bulb,,,,,

:D
Love that one.