People who quote films/sketches are pitiful Page 2

Quote: MrIntelligent2 Dude @ December 11 2010, 5:45 PM GMT

I'm not sure if it's a lack of self-awareness or simply plain idiocy, but whenever I hear people quote one-liners from their favourite film/tv sketch etc, I cringe.

Don't these people realise just how stupid they sound by trying to imitate someone else's gags?

What might sound funny on screen generally sounds absolutely awful in real life, especially if you recognise the exact quote in question.

At my workplace the other day I overheard 2 colleagues giggling uncontrollably whilst re-enacting a scene from Holy Grail, whereby one of them kept repeating, 'no it isn't, it's only a scratch', to much laughter and delight from the simpletons working nearby.

When they asked why I wasn't laughing, I simply shook my head, rolled my eyes and groaned.

I've come to the conclusion that people who quote films/sketches are indeed the lamest of the lame. That is all.

That's what she said.

That is all.

That is not all.

LOVE is all.

I have independent records by Malcolm Roberts and Roger Glover to prove it.

Strangely, however, I also have it on no less authority than that of the International Tennis Federation that love is, in fact, FUCK all.

It's a funny old world.

Eh?

Why are these "Intelligent" Duds on a comedy forum?

I don't think they are any more.

For the record referencing is amusing when it is apposite and well-timed; but often quotes from comedies become in effect in-jokes, or rather in-catchphrases, it is the act of repetition itself which is funny for those sharing the frame of reference. It is not unheard of for the oft-repeated quote to become an in-joke even among those unfamiliar with the source, simply because they have become used to it being trotted out as a response to certain circumstances.

There is a young lady in my office who I am sure has never seen Fawlty Towers, but who has learnt that the correct response to being hassled about overdue work is, "I am doing it! I am doing it now!"

I'm not sure if it's a lack of self-awareness or simply plain idiocy, but whenever I hear people quote one-liners from their favourite film/tv sketch etc, I cringe.

Don't these people realise just how stupid they sound by trying to imitate someone else's gags?

What might sound funny on screen generally sounds absolutely awful in real life, especially if you recognise the exact quote in question.

At my workplace the other day I overheard 2 colleagues giggling uncontrollably whilst re-enacting a scene from Holy Grail, whereby one of them kept repeating, 'no it isn't, it's only a scratch', to much laughter and delight from the simpletons working nearby.

When they asked why I wasn't laughing, I simply shook my head, rolled my eyes and groaned.

I've come to the conclusion that people who quote films/sketches are indeed the lamest of the lame. That is all.

IntelligentDude,

I feel your pain, I work with someone who recites lines from films, comedies, songs etc. It drives me crazy.

Whilst I appreciate impersonation is the sincerest form of flattery it does grate when it's out of context.

I might join in occasionally, but my memory is so bad I can't remember any of the lines. Mr Baby still laughs at me reciting the famous Father Ted line as 'Those cows are small, but these cows are over there'.

The point of my post is, if they're enjoying themselves there's no harm done, clench your fists and get stuck in, who knows you might enjoy it ;)

Oh my God they killed MrIntelligent2 Dude!

Aww, I wish I'd known he was banned before I typed my response, that's 2 minutes of my life I'll never get back :(

I like it when people do that. It takes all sorts to make a world.

Quote: MrIntelligent2 Dude @ December 11 2010, 5:58 PM GMT

You're commenting here too, stop projecting, it's pitiful.

Sorry about the delay - just got back. How was your evening? Oh wait, banned already? Better luck with the next one.

Quote: Badge @ December 11 2010, 8:53 PM GMT

Oh my God they killed MrIntelligent2 Dude!

This is the funniest post I have ever made on the BCG and not a flicker of recognition! You guys!

*flounces off to start thread about how everyone is against him*

Hey Badge you smell of gerbils!

Quote: Badge @ December 12 2010, 8:56 PM GMT

*flounces off to start thread about how everyone is against him*

My work here is done.

Ni!

What?!

Oh.