People who quote films/sketches are pitiful

I'm not sure if it's a lack of self-awareness or simply plain idiocy, but whenever I hear people quote one-liners from their favourite film/tv sketch etc, I cringe.

Don't these people realise just how stupid they sound by trying to imitate someone else's gags?

What might sound funny on screen generally sounds absolutely awful in real life, especially if you recognise the exact quote in question.

At my workplace the other day I overheard 2 colleagues giggling uncontrollably whilst re-enacting a scene from Holy Grail, whereby one of them kept repeating, 'no it isn't, it's only a scratch', to much laughter and delight from the simpletons working nearby.

When they asked why I wasn't laughing, I simply shook my head, rolled my eyes and groaned.

I've come to the conclusion that people who quote films/sketches are indeed the lamest of the lame. That is all.

It's just another form of expressing enjoyment over a particular scene/moment. It's not the greatest form of comedy, but it's nice to reflect and share with others some favourite moments.

You do realise you've managed to quote a line in your post don't you?

It's Saturday night, fella. Nowhere to go?

Quote: Leevil @ December 11 2010, 5:47 PM GMT

It's just another form of expressing enjoyment over a particular scene/moment. It's not the greatest form of comedy, but it's nice to reflect and share with others some favourite moments.

Actually, it's cringeworthy. It's fine to discuss favourite films/sketches, but when 'fans' keep quoting the same lines over and over again (and not realising how idiotic they sound to anyone else observing) it's beyond pitiful.

Quote: Badge @ December 11 2010, 5:48 PM GMT

You do realise you've managed to quote a line in your post don't you?

I've used a line as an example, not as a pathetic one-liner to impress my friends. If you can't understand the context here then that's shameful.

When you see a bunch of nerds constantly quoting 'Python (or whatever), it can be a bit cringe worthy. I agree. But it surely must be a testament to the original piece they're quoting.

I find it hard to imagine how you've managed to avoid quoting anything you've enjoyed for someone else's amusement. Not even in an "ironic" sense?

Quote: David Bussell @ December 11 2010, 5:51 PM GMT

It's Saturday night, fella. Nowhere to go?

You're commenting here too, stop projecting, it's pitiful.

Quote: Leevil @ December 11 2010, 5:55 PM GMT

When you see a bunch of nerds constantly quoting 'Python (or whatever), it can be a bit cringe worthy. I agree. But it surely must be a testament to the original piece they're quoting.

I find it hard to imagine how you've managed to avoid quoting anything you've enjoyed for someone else's amusement. Not even in an "ironic" sense?

When I enjoy something, I like to discuss it. I don't like to constantly repeat and re-enact scenes in a pitiful attempt to impress my peers. The going trend, from my observation, leans towards the latter.

Ah, your point is the constant repetition. Then, yes. I agree.

Quote: Leevil @ December 11 2010, 5:59 PM GMT

Ah, your point is the constant repetition. Then, yes. I agree.

Yes, exactly. I thought that was clear in my OP. btw, I don't give compliments often, but I dig your avatar.

Thanks.

I feel special. :)

Quote: MrIntelligent2 Dude @ December 11 2010, 5:58 PM GMT

I don't like to constantly repeat and re-enact scenes in a pitiful attempt to impress my peers.

Surely no one does it to impress, it's a (shared) form a of flattery were friends can 'relive' a moment they enjoyed, together.

Quote: Leevil @ December 11 2010, 6:02 PM GMT

Thanks.

Np. But, it has to be said, my avatar is the best on this forum :)

Quote: Leevil @ December 11 2010, 6:02 PM GMT

You've always been special. :D

Quote: MrIntelligent2 Dude @ December 11 2010, 6:03 PM GMT

Np. But, it has to be said, my avatar is the best on this forum :)

I think yours is just a copy.

Quote: Badge @ December 11 2010, 6:04 PM GMT

I think yours is just a copy.

Now you're just being jealous.