Round The Horne Page 4

Round The Horne. Copyright: BBC.

Round The Horne

Hugely popular sketch show starring Kenneth Horne and co, created by Barry Took and Marty Feldman

Will Cam

• Tuesday 12th July 2016, 11:04pm
  • England
  • 7,787 posts

I read Kenneth Horne's biography a few years ago. It was amazing that for most of his radio career he also held a full time 'ordinary job'.

Hercules Grytpype Thynne

• Wednesday 13th July 2016, 9:05am
  • England
  • 14,399 posts
Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 12th July 2016, 2:09 PM BST

That's by Robert Ross. If you bought it as an autobiography...

autobiog, schmautobiog my life already................

I imagine you enjoy a game of chess?

Paul Wimsett

• Wednesday 13th July 2016, 10:38am
  • Folkestone, United Kingdom
  • 2,882 posts

Sorry, I just felt like promoting a new book, I guess?

Billy Bunter

• Thursday 14th July 2016, 6:31pm
  • The Sussex Coast, England
  • 571 posts

An adaptation of an original radio recording of "Round The Horne" is being staged at the Barn theatre, Southwick, West Sussex on Tuesday 4th & Wednesday 5th October at 7:30pm.

David Skelly

• Sunday 30th September 2018, 5:03pm [Edited]
  • United Kingdom
  • 1 posts

I have enjoyed both Round the Horne & Beyond our Ken series for years but am struggling to find a specific sketch that makes me laugh just thinking of it, I wonder if any one can help me in locating it?
All I can remember is the title "double your pfennigs" or the punchline "it was Beethoven! It was Beethoven!".
Can anyone help me?

It would be greatly appreciated, thanks again.

Paul Wimsett

• Saturday 6th October 2018, 7:24pm
  • Folkestone, United Kingdom
  • 2,882 posts

This was a spoof of Double Your Money, it was mentioned in one of the RTH script books I think.

Rood Eye

• Thursday 29th November 2018, 12:58am
  • England
  • 823 posts

Quite possibly the cleverest and funniest line of dialogue I have ever heard in my life is to be found in the Julian and Sandy sketch "Bona Law" in which Kenneth Horne is looking for legal representation and chances upon our two heroes at their law offices.

KENNETH HORNE: Will you take my case?

JULIAN: Well, it depends on what it is. We've got a criminal practice that takes up most of our time.

It's possible that a great many BCG readers were not even born when that episode was transmitted and might therefore understandably fail to recognise the comedic and satirical brilliance of Julian's line.

beaky

• Thursday 29th November 2018, 9:06am
  • Malaga and Brighton, United Kingdom
  • 2,360 posts

I agree. Brilliant.

Billy Bunter

• Thursday 29th November 2018, 10:04am
  • The Sussex Coast, England
  • 571 posts

And, of course, those of us that were around were mostly too young and/or naive to understand what was going on.