The British Comedy Awards 2010 Page 3

o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

If they are broadcast this January, surely they are the British Comedy Awards 2011?

Quote: Tim Azure @ December 17 2010, 4:22 PM GMT

If they are broadcast this January, surely they are the British Comedy Awards 2011?

If it twere I don't think there would be many contenders. They are the awards for the best Comedy in 2010 - but you do make a point. :)

Quote: Griff @ December 17 2010, 4:32 PM GMT

Bloody hell! Go Mark! Nice one.

(Not you, Pearson).

Hah. Just saw that. Well done!

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 17 2010, 12:29 AM GMT

Very glad that it's on C4. ITV had slowly strangled the show over the last few years, until it was basically moribund. I do hope C4 give the show a decent running time and loosen the booze rules etc. The best BCA shows were the ones that ran live for 3 hours and allowed comedians to make drunken twats of themselves.

Nothing like a bit of booze to make things interesting! I'm not sure how long the awards are on for, but they're clearly a big deal for Channel 4. The broadcast will bring millions more viewers to the channel than its average, so I bet they'll be looking for it to be a decent length broadcast.

The awards will be all over Channel 4 in the week leading up to the ceremony. The shortlist announcement will get its own show (presumably with extended clips of the nominees); Bill Bailey will be hosting a awards-linked chat show called Comics Choice during the week-long build up; then there will be the awards themselves on the Saturday. I'm guessing E4 might try and do some kind of backstage thing too?

So, in summary, I think Channel 4 is definitely going to be a better and more loving home for them than ITV was.

Hopefully the result should make more sense too, as there's more independent people on the jury now (i.e. less broadcasters pushing for their own shows to win)...

Quote: Griff @ December 17 2010, 4:32 PM GMT

Bloody hell! Go Mark! Nice one.

Yes, including me :) I like to think I'm representing the comedy fans by sticking up for hidden gems some people may have missed, and popular mainstream hits which it may not be trendy for the media elite to like. I better shut up now though as I'm not sure I'm meant to talk about my involvement Errr

Quote: Tim Azure @ December 17 2010, 4:22 PM GMT

The name probably is going to cause some confusion... but it is the awards for comedy broadcast in 2010 so it makes sense having it as '2010'.

The January broadcast actually makes much more sense - under ITV's rules, the eligible period for programmes was something like November - October, so two of the busiest months for new comedy ended up in the wrong year's awards. For example, if it was still like that, comedies such as The Trip wouldn't be up for nomination until the 2011 awards... which obviously doesn't make sense.

The shortlist announcement will get its own show (presumably with extended clips of the nominees); Bill Bailey will be hosting a awards-linked chat show called Comics Choice during the week-long build up; then there will be the awards themselves on the Saturday. I'm guessing E4 might try and do some kind of backstage thing too?

A week-long build-up? How tiresome. Let's just have the awards and nowt else.

Talk about going overboard, Jeez ...

Yeah, don't you just hate it when channels pump loads of time and money into promoting comedy? Snore-fest! Back to ITV I say! They new how to properly neglect it!

Quote: Nat Wicks @ December 17 2010, 5:27 PM GMT

Yeah, don't you just hate it when channels pump loads of time and money into promoting comedy? Snore-fest! Back to ITV I say! They knew how to properly neglect it!

Absolutely. Given the choice between a comedy programme and a 'how to buy a house' programme, it's good Channel 4 have gone for the comedy. You don't have to watch the build-up, but it's good it's there for the people that are interested!

Comics Choice should be ace too; in-depth interviews with some of the biggest names in comedy - what's not to like about that?

Depends on the content. I predict the week-long build-up will be full of puff pieces and filler - nothing revelatory.

But anyway ...

Right Mark there's a sack of 20 squid notes in the disabled loos at King's Cross.

Wouldn't it be nice if a hard working web moderator found it....

Wouldn't it be nice if Skippy the Paedophile Kangaroo won an award...

Quote: sootyj @ December 17 2010, 6:23 PM GMT

Right Mark there's a sack of 20 squid notes in the disabled loos at King's Cross.

Wouldn't it be nice if a hard working web moderator found it...

*heads off to King's Cross before he finds out*

Run!

Forgot to mention sack of money is guarded by Rob Rouse and his comedy duck

Shouldn't be much of a challenge then...

Quote: Ian Wolf @ December 17 2010, 10:45 AM GMT

the jury, especially the name third from bottom.

Now that is interesting...

Maybe Mark could slip a couple of critique skecthes into the pile for consideration?

Who are you taking as your plus one Mark? If you need a big, leggy, blonde I think Bussell might be free that night. ;)