That Friday Quiz Page 193

21 - Billy Wright

7 - Ramekin

Does anyone else miss George asking me if there's a quiz this week

Friday Quiz 18th March 2016
1. Which major figure of 20th century charitable work is to be made a saint of the Catholic church this September? Mother Teresa
2. Who allegedly made a forced entry to avoid a one mile detour? Prince Andrew
3. Which novel was set in a house called Manderley? Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
4. Where do these people live? Jaywick (Benefits by the Sea). ½ point for Benefit St.

5. Which veteran broadcaster is the only person to have won a BAFTA in black and white, colour, HD and 3D? Sir David Attenborough
6. Which food item is also the name of a big country music hit in the UK last year? Biscuits by Kacey Musgraves
7. What is the seven-letter word for a small round baking dish used to serve crème brulee, for example? Ramekin
8. Who went from drinking Gold Blend to starring in Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Anthony Head
9. What links these pictures? Duchess. Duchess potatoes and The Ugly Duchess by Quentin Matsys

10. What 'W' is shown here? Widow's Peak
11. Which communications satellite was launched in the early 1960s to provide the first live TV transmissions between Europe and the USA ? Telstar
12. Which English county town has a population of approx 15,000 people and has a name that derives from 'murder path'? Morpeth in Northumberland
13. Name the film. Meet The Parents
14. Which well-known sauce in Italian cuisine mainly consists of tomatoes, anchovies, capers , olives and garlic? Puttanesca
15. What is the southernmost city in the world with a population of over 10 million? Sao Paulo
16. The name of which weapon can also mean a massive rescue plan in financial circles? Bazooka

17. Name the team. Uruguay national football team.

18. In my Friday Quiz database, each team has a three-digit number. No team number can begin with a 0. Also, no two teams can have numbers that are identical when written in reverse order. For example, only one of 123 and 321 can exist. What is the maximum number of teams allowed in my database? 540. See below

19. What connects these pictures: Berries. (Elder; rasp; cloud; blue; tay)

20. Unscramble the two words A A A F G G I R S S AGASSI & GRAF

Maths workings:
We said that a 3 digit code starting with a 0 is invalid. Hence we cannot use codes from 001 to 099.

So, the total number of valid 3 digit id's is 900.

Out of these, three digit numbers that are symmetrical will have the same first and the last digit. The first and the last digit in this case can be selected in 9 ways(any number from 1 to 9). The second digit can be selected in 10 ways(any number from 0 to 9). Therefore the number of symmetrical three digit numbers = 9*10 = 90. These 90 id's will not have a corresponding number when written in reverse order.

Secondly numbers ending with a zero will also not have a corresponding 3 digit number when written in reverse order. For example, reverse of 910 is 019 which is not a valid three digit code due to the condition given that 3 digit codes starting with 0 are invalid. Number of such three digit numbers = 9*10 = 90.

Rest of the (900-180) = 720 numbers can be classified into two groups of 360 numbers each, where corresponding pairs of numbers will be identical when written in reverse order. Hence consider only 360 of these numbers.

Therefore total number of valid employee id's possible = 90 + 90 + 360 = 540.

Have got a quiz this week Steve?

Quote: reds @ 18th June 2016, 1:52 AM BST

Have got a quiz this week Steve?

Laughing out loud

I'll try to fit one in
Even though it's technically Saturday

19. The pasty has egg on it, the others have 'egg' in them.

2 Toronto
6 Plugs

3. haiku
7. Iglesias
10. whale shark
20. crucifixion and resurrection.

Are we having a quiz this month Steve?

13. The Lavender Hill Mob
14. Easter Uprising. Irish against the British.

Have we got one this week, Steve?

I see Groper has resurfaced. Whistling nnocently

What's this, "Revive a dead thread" week?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 18th May 2017, 7:09 PM

Have we got one this week, Steve?

Hi Gordon

Seeing as you asked nicely
I'll get one ready in a bit

Thursday Quiz 24th March 2016
1. According to recent analysis, which common tree of the English countryside is set to be all but wiped out over the coming years due to disease and insects? Ash
2. The controversial ex-mayor of which city died this week? Toronto
3. Which short form of poetry traditionally has 17 syllables? Haiku
4. Where do these Easter treats originate from? USA - they are Peeps

5. A Chinese rice dish with chicken and egg inspired the name of which Paul Simon song? Mother and Child Reunion
6. Where did blue replace light brown in the late 1980s? Smarties
7. Which non-UK father and son have both had individual number one singles in the UK charts? Julio & Enrique Iglesias
8. In which European country have murder mysteries and whodunnits become a major Easter tradition? Norway
9. What links these pictures? Eggs. Faberge & curate. It is Easter after all - see Q19 below

10. What is this? Whale shark
11. Which nation became the first to voluntarily give up their nuclear deterrent in the 1990s? South Africa

12. After solid, liquid and gas, what is the fourth fundamental state of matter? Plasma
13. Name the film. The Lavender Hill Mob
14. This Easter marks a key anniversary of a rebellion by nationalists against an occupying power in which country? Ireland
15. Found below the tundra, but above the temperate forest, which Russian word is used to describe the type of forest that covers much of Canada and Russia? Taiga
16. To within 10%, at the start of 2016, how many working nuclear power stations were there worldwide? 442 (accept 398 - 486)

17. Name the sport. Duathlon

18. Katie and Andrew were painting egges for Easter. There are an equal number of hen and duck eggs. Katie got up first and had painted three hen eggs before Andrew arrived. When Andrew turned up, he pointed out that Katie was supposed to be doing the duck eggs. So Katie started again on the duck eggs and Andrew carried on the hen eggs. When Andrew finished, he painted six duck eggs for Katie. Who painted more eggs, and how many more (regardless of type)? Andrew painted 6 more, regardless of the total number of eggs

19. What connects these pictures: EGG! ArpEGGio; cross-lEGGed; GrEGGs Steak Bake; rEGGae and bEGGar

20. Unscramble the two words C C C E E F I I I I N N O O R R R R S T U U X CRUCIFIXION & RESURRECTION
21 Reet Petite

Maths workings:
Andrew must have painted six more eggs than Katie, no matter how many eggs there were. For example, let us say there were 20 of each type; then Andrew painted 23 and Katie 17.

Or - As Chorley Squash Club explained even more clearly:
H = number of hen eggs
D = number of duck eggs
Katie painted 3 hen eggs, plus all the duck eggs bar the 6 which Andrew painted
Andrew painted all the hen eggs, bar the 3 which Katie painted, plus 6 duck eggs

So Katie painted 3 + ( D-6 ) eggs
And Andrew painted ( H-3 ) + 6 eggs

Since H = D,
Katie painted 3 + D - 6 = D-3
Andrew painted D-3+6 = D+3

So Andrew painted 6 eggs more than Katie

I tried to make it up to date
But this weeks one hadn't arrived at the time
So here's last weeks

5. Clint Eastwood?