That Friday Quiz Page 192

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 3rd June 2016, 4:04 PM BST

2. The lights went on this week in Indonesia for what reason?

Probably the answer is the solar eclipse, which most of Indonesia didn't witness. No one was turning lights on or off for the bloody thing.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 5th June 2016, 10:05 AM BST

20 DEVON CORNWALL

Always impressed with those as there's no clue and I managed to work them out a couple of times.

Quote: Chappers @ 5th June 2016, 7:59 PM BST

Always impressed with those as there's no clue and I managed to work them out a couple of times.

I've been doing cryptic crosswords for 30 odd years, which helps.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 6th June 2016, 9:41 AM BST

I've been doing cryptic crosswords for 30 odd years, which helps.

But 2016 is an even year.

You're doing it again........... >_<

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th June 2016, 9:43 AM BST

You're doing it again........... >_<

But you love it really!

Quote: Chappers @ 7th June 2016, 10:49 AM BST

But you love it really!

Not really - pun me no puns Mr Pun Master, and now I have an aching wrist and am out of breath. :$

Friday Quiz 11th March 2016
1. Hearing problems led to the recent curtailment of which group's tour? AC/DC
2. The lights went on this week in Indonesia for what reason? A total solar eclipse
3. What type of animals did Alf most enjoy eating? Cats
4. What is this? A harp

5. Which Russian city had three different names during the course of the 20th century? St Petersburg (Leningrad and Petrograd) . Also Volgograd (Tsaritsyn and Stalingrad)
6. Who pioneered birth control in London in the 1920s? Marie Stopes
7. What does a giraffe possess at birth, making it unique amongst animals? Horns
8. What name indicating cookery of a high standard is also given to a dish made with ham and cheese and a white sauce? Cordon bleu
9. What links these pictures? Cure. Robert Smith from the group, and cured pork...

10. What sport is being played here? Kabaddi
11. What name was given in 19th century USA to the system where mail was carried by relays of horse-riders? Pony Express
12. Who was banned from international football for a year in the 1990s for insulting the French national team manager? Eric Cantona
13. Name the TV series. Boon
14. In the 1860s, Queen Victoria considered banning British subjects from taking part in which potentially fatal sport? Mountaineering
15. The name of which avant-garde art movement is derived from the French for 'wild animals'? Les Fauves / Fauvism
16. In which film did Leonardo DiCaprio play two roles? Man in the Iron Mask

17. Who is the veteran blues singer? Bonnie Raitt

18. I throw two darts at the dartboard aiming for the bullseye. The second dart lands further from the centre than the first. Assuming my ability is constant, if I now throw a third dart, what is the probability that the third dart also lands further from the centre than the first dart? 2/3 - see below

19. What connects these pictures? Revolutions (Carnation, Portugal 1974; Tulip, Kyrgyzstan 2005; Singing, Baltic States 1987-91; Orange, Ukraine 2004; Velvet, Czechoslovakia 1989)

20. Unscramble the two words : A C D E L L N N O O R V W CORNWALL & DEVON
Maths workings:
Since the three darts are thrown independently, they each have a 1/3 chance of being the best throw. As long as the third dart is not the best throw, it will be worse than the first dart. Therefore the answer is 2/3.

21 Jesse Garon Presley

8) Anthony Stewart Head.

1. Jimmy Saville

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 10th June 2016, 1:22 PM BST

1. Jimmy Saville

Laughing out loud

11 - Telstar.

10 Wanker

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th June 2016, 3:20 PM BST

10 Wanker

Nice little story from my childhood: In the mid 80s one of my older sisters had a copy of Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet as a cassette. She must have copied it from a friends vinyl edition. The songtitles were handwritten on the front of the box. I've read the song Wanted Dead Or Alive as Wanked Dead Or Alive. Yes, my sister's handwriting wasn't exactly first class. I didn't speak English at that time so it took me years to realise my mistake. Ironically, the wrong title was like a prophecy, it could have been the motto of my teenage years in the early 90s.

13. Meet The Parents

19. -berry