That Friday Quiz Page 191

Quote: Chappers @ 18th May 2016, 10:44 PM BST

21 - Once

Oi! Only 2!!!!

The new rule is three as per about a couple of quizzes ago............keep up you old fart.

Friday Quiz 4th March 2016
1. The Labour Party won a one-seat majority in which country's general election last week? Jamaica
2. The long distance record for a regular commercial flight has just been extended to 17 ΒΌ hours non-stop. It takes off in Auckland, but where does it land? Dubai
3. Which 16th century Venetian painter lends his name to a shade of red? Titian
4. Who is this? Heidi Klum

5. Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman began their relationship during the making of which film? Days of Thunder
6. Excluding the Falkland Islands, in which three countries would you find the southernmost settlements in the world? Chile, Argentina and New Zealand
7. A film flop of the early 1980s, an album title and an historic capital all share what name? Xanadu
8. What generic trademark name is used for a surface coating used in interior design, allowing the decorator to add texture, usually to ceilings? Artex
9. What links these pictures? CARTHORSE & ORCHESTRA are anagrams of each other

10. Name the film. The Borrowers
11. A group of overlapping circles, showing relationships between different sets, is called what? Venn diagram
12. Which Swiss city is the smallest in the world to have an underground railway system? Lausanne
13. What paradox is suggested here? Schrodinger's Cat
14. Which country's army has the largest non-ceremonial mounted cavalry division in the world? India
15. What is an egg preserved in a mixture of ash, salt, clay, quicklime and rice husks called? Century egg (or 100 year egg or 1,000 year egg)
16. Which 1950s film set in New Orleans was the first to win three Academy Awards for acting? A Streetcar Named Desire

17. Name the musician. Acker Bilk

18. During the last war of independence, the Congo river had to be crossed by a platoon of soldiers fleeing the enemy. The only boat was owned by two local pygmy tribesmen and can either take one soldier or a maximum of two pygmies. How many crossings are needed to transport all 357 soldiers across the river and return the two tribesmen to their home? 1,428 crossings. See below

19. What connects these pictures: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe / The Chronicles of Narnia.

20. Unscramble the two words : A D E G H I M N N O R S T U Y MOTHERING SUNDAY

Maths Workings:
1428 trips required.

The two pygmies row to the opposite shore.
One gets out and the other brings the boat back. One soldier rows across; the soldier gets out, and the pygmy returns with the boat.

Thus, it takes 4 trips to get one soldier across and the boat brought back.

Hence it takes 4 x 357 = 1428 trips, to get the 357 soldiers across the river and the pygmies back home

21 Two times

1. AC/DC

3. Cats

5. St. Petersburg

19. Revolutions

17. Bonnie Raitt

Quote: JohnnyD @ 3rd June 2016, 7:04 PM BST

19. Revolutions

You've got a good shot at BCGer of the month with answers like that

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 3rd June 2016, 7:32 PM BST

You've got a good shot at BCGer of the month with answers like that

*cough cough* Excuse me...they've just opened the world's longest tunnel im my country. I think it's bloody obvious who should become BCGer of the month.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 3rd June 2016, 7:47 PM BST

*cough cough* Excuse me...they've just opened the world's longest tunnel im my country. I think it's bloody obvious who should become BCGer of the month.

I don't want to say to much at this stage Gordon
But get your best suit dry cleaned mate

13. Boon

6. Marie Stopes

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 3rd June 2016, 7:47 PM BST

Why, did you dig any of it? Unimpressed

4 The pedals on the base of a harp

8 Cordon Bleu

11 Pony Express

20 DEVON CORNWALL