august, August
job, Job
lima, Lima
natal, Natal
nice, Nice
rainier, Rainier
reading, Reading
tangier, Tangier

George, why do you badger Steve for the next quiz and then not have a go.........? >_<

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 23rd November 2014, 9:13 PM GMT

George, why do you badger Steve for the next quiz and then not have a go.........? >_<

Too busy mending trains.

Quote: Oldrocker @ 23rd November 2014, 11:20 PM GMT

Too busy mending trains.

Well he wants to get back on track. >_<

Friday Quiz October 17th 2014
1. Which UK political parted has selected a new leader this week? Scottish Nationalist Party (SNP)
2. Which divorcee has just paid nearly £40m for a new London home ? Elisabeth Murdoch
3. Total Wipeout was filmed at a course in which country? Argentina
4. Name the film. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

5. Plantain is the cooking variety of which fruit? Banana
6. What festival marks the Jewish New Year? Rosh Hashanah
7. What poisonous plant has drooping purple flowers and a black, cherry-like fruit? Deadly Nightshade / Belladonna
8. What connects the US State of North Carolina and a British bicycle manufacturer? Raleigh (the state capital of NC)
9. What links these pictures? Turkey (three consecutive strikes at 10-pin bowling is a 'turkey'; Cappadocia in Turkey)

10. In which far-flung city would you find this? Timbuktu
11. What is an eagle's nest called? Eyrie
12. Which common word when capitalized turns from a noun or verb into a nationality? Polish. I'll reluctantly accept Scotch, although I'm aware that most Scots prefer 'Scottish' or 'Scots'.
13. Who is this? Christopher Plummer
14. In a set of numbers, what word describes the number that occurs the most often? Mode
15. Which province of Russia is completely separated geographically from the rest of the Russian Federation? Kaliningrad
16. In biology, what word for a minute body or cell in an organism, especially a red and white blood cell, comes from the Latin for 'little body'? Corpuscle
17. In which classic British comedy of the 1960s and 1970s is one of the main characters married to Elizabeth, who is never seen on screen? Dad's Army. She is married to Captain Mainwaring

18. From the clues below, determine the four numbers I am thinking of: The sum of all four numbers is 31. One of the numbers is odd. The highest number minus the lowest number is 7. If you subtract one of the middle numbers from the other it equals two. There are no duplicate numbers. 5 6 8 and 12

19. What links these pictures: Christina Aguilera. She began her career appearing in the Mickey Mouse Club. She recorded 'Genie in a bottle' and 'Dirty'. She starred in the film 'Burlesque'.

20. Unscramble the two 2 foodstuffs : C E F G H I M N N O O O U W Y CHOW MEIN & FOO YUNG

19. Gilbert and Sullivan

8 No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!

16 Dartford

6. Paul...for Live & Let Die?

13. Renee Zellweger

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 25th November 2014, 5:30 PM GMT

6. Paul...for Live & Let Die?

Sounds good to me, in two respects - one of the best Bond themes.

5. Calais

14. Wombat

7. They Think It's All Over

17. Julio and Enrique Inglesias. (I would hasten to add that my reply is based on logic not appreciation)

The pictures in 9. are quite small...who are these people? I only recognise Axl Rose in the middle.
The girl on the left reminds me of the singer of Everything But The Girl but I don't think it's her. The one on the right looks like Bret Anderson from Suede.