Right... Page 3

It's a very reasonable question and my answer is no, of course it isn't! If you want a basic reason (it is a basic question, nothing wrong with that) then I'd give the 'quantity does not mean quality' line in this case.

But let's break it down into sectors for the anoraks out there (nothing wrong with this either) -

Stand up - Never been more popular, is probably the most talked about sector of comedy now. Conclusion - best.

Satire - Still has a lot of good practioners and it still has an audience but the golden age of modern satire is still the 1960s. Conclusion - not best.

Anarchic or unscheduled comedy events - A bit of a new phenomenon I think and it has its place. Conclusion - best/no contest.

Family comedy - This has been hit hard by the general crudening of our culture and language, it struggles to survive on evening TV and exists mainly in kids' TV and films. Conclsion - not best.

The TV sketch show - Still going strong despite there being a minefield of previous material to try and avoid. Conclusion - not best (but is almost impossible to be so).

The TV comedy panel show - Another very popular modern form, there is no shortage of panel shows on or likely to be in the near future. Conclusion - best by miles.

Radio comedy - Lots of it still about and there is still a hard core but smallish audience for it. Useful as a breeding ground for TV comedy shows but radio today is not the organ it once was. Conclusion - not best by miles.

The comedy drama - Well, hmm, tough one to analyse because much modern comdram is finding its way into sitcoms. If you class this new stuff as comedy drama then I think it is in very good health and has taken a slightly new turn from the old style comedy drama. No bad thing, but will many of them be classics like Minder for example? Don't know yet. Conclusion - about even, too close to call.

Funny literature - Has seen some very good new creations over the years and it seems to be going strong, but it has severe competition from the past. Conclusion - I'm not sure, split decision/needs more research.

Lastly and not leastly the TV sitcom - Blimey, if there was ever a comedy form going through a transition then it is the once simple sitcom. There is a sudden wave of very good sitcom material hitting the TV screen now but generally the best of them are aimed at a non family audience and are getting cruder and as a result are getting shown later. That's okay, but they are taking the place of the old primetime classic, the sitcoms that got watched by millions and repeated at work and school the following days. Conclusion - not best.

Score - the past wins by 5-3 out of ten. There you are, your school project is sorted. :) Morning.

Surprisingly considered and accurate analysis there I think, Alfred. Spot on with most of it.

The sad thing is I enjoyed wearing my anorak for half an hour there. Errr

Of course I doubt this will be a majority view, even on this thread, but that's what makes the question interesting.

Pretty on the nose Mr Kipper

I think topical suffers for having been rabidly anti Conservative in the 80s and then finding that 90s Labour was little diferent.

Also the Gulf war 2 creating a unified political approach in the UK. How can you protest when almost every in the media/government is in agreement.

So topical comedy was much stronger in the 60s. When shows were seen as so powerful they were pulled before elections. (I like the 80s but it lacked nuance or balance.)

HIGNFY may be very witty but it has no bite.

I'd also say the sitcoms of 60s-80s pre-Laddism and irony were much, much stronger.

Quote: British Alien @ December 7 2010, 12:25 PM GMT

Why hello there! Well, isn't it nice in here? All comfy, you even have heated pillows! Dead snazzy. Right, I am here to ask your assistance. I am currently investigating a question for a school project. In particular, the Extended Project where one has to write a dissertation looking in to whatever subject one likes. My question is this: Is British Comedy today the best it has ever been?' Now, as this is THE British Comedy site, I thought it would be jolly good to ask you lot. There would be varying opinions and you could give me lots of wonderful information. I was wondering if you could submit your ideas and feelings about the question.

Thank you for reading,
Much love xxx

Submit that post... enough words for a dissertation.

Alfred, I'm liking your thinking :D

So you guys think I should constrict it to studying just two elements of the comedy backdrop. Comparing them on their impact etc

Say for instance: Comparing Will Hay with Simon Pegg

or

Rising Damp with The Inbetweeners.....that kind of thing? x

It will be much more manageable if you do narrow your remit further, yes. There's no reason you couldn't include certain other elements of comedy if you're careful with the wording of your question, but the present one is far too loosely defined.

Quote: British Alien @ December 9 2010, 12:02 PM GMT

Comparing Will Hay with Simon Pegg

You could do that without writing very much: just use two images.

Here's one of them:

...........................Will Hay..........

Right, so after reading posts from you rather awesome people, would any of these questions be suitable? (as in do-able? lol)

Is comedy for the small screen possible to transfer to the big screen?
Does comedy define the era it's made in?
Is there such thing as a timeless comedy?

etc xx

P.S: apologies for the 'Right.....' xx

All of those sound eminently more manageable.

I would issue one word of warning though: whilst the second is (to me at least) the most interesting, it could also prove most difficult as you'll need to find lots of contemporary evidence from whichever era you choose to contrast the now with. Could be a real pain.

Quote: Aaron @ December 9 2010, 8:59 PM GMT

All of those sound eminently more manageable.

I would issue one word of warning though: whilst the second is (to me at least) the most interesting, it could also prove most difficult as you'll need to find lots of contemporary evidence from whichever era you choose to contrast the now with. Could be a real pain.

Hmmm...tis exactly what I thought. The last two appeal to me more. Again as you said the second one does seem more interesting...hmmm....What do you think of the third? x

The third is quite good as you'll pretty much have to focus on old shows in order to analyse what it is about them that they've lasted so popularly for so long. There's something about it that doesn't quite grab me personally, but as you've come up with it I'm sure you'll find some way of slanting it to satiate your intrigue.

A tip if you choose that one: archetypal characters.

Quote: British Alien @ December 9 2010, 8:50 PM GMT

Right, so after reading posts from you rather awesome people, would any of these questions be suitable? (as in do-able? lol)

Is comedy for the small screen possible to transfer to the big screen?
Does comedy define the era it's made in?
Is there such thing as a timeless comedy?

etc xx

P.S: apologies for the 'Right.....' xx

Hi British Alien,

The first one seems a bit bland to me, but just my opinion.

The second is interesting although I think it's more likely that the era it is made in defines the comedy (and art in general).

I like the third but I think you would have to state your position from the outset on whether you believe comedy as a genre itself is timeless or not, and then if an example through the ages has been made.

Hope it goes well.

Right, (ARGH) I have submitted the last two questions. I shall discover for sure next Tuesday what the most successful question shall be. Thanks for your help guys. I would've been working myself into a frenzy on the previous question. :D

Once I have that question, would it be alright if you could then give opinions on that question (which was my original intention) xxx

Thank you x

Quote: jacparov @ December 9 2010, 11:28 PM GMT

The second is interesting although I think it's more likely that the era it is made in defines the comedy (and art in general).

I thinnk the wording of that question was probably slightly misleading, and it would more focus on whether comedy accurately reflects its era rather than particularly influences it.

And yes, by all means come back and ask again. :)