John Cleese Page 2

He's not dead, he's restin'!

I remember reading a Python book and being quite surprised by just how many of the famous sketches and Python ideas Palin was responsible for.

Quote: chipolata @ December 1 2010, 6:36 PM GMT

I'd actually quite enjoy that. :$

It should happen.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 1 2010, 6:44 PM GMT

I remember reading a Python book and being quite surprised by just how many of the famous sketches and Python ideas Palin was responsible for.

Yes I believe in the latter days Cleese and Chapman wrote less and less and it was Palin and Jones who were writing the bulk of the material. Obviously with Idle's sketches thrown in aswell.

I think Idle was underrated as a writer. I think he wrote all those wordplay sketches like the man who can only speak the beginnings of words, the man who is alternately rude and polite, the man who pronounces his 'c's as 'b's and the man who calls to the door about finishing the sentences. All great sketches.

Quote: samcheese @ November 30 2010, 10:07 PM GMT

Write a new sitcom. (Not Fawlty Towers - something new.)

Gosh, yes, why doesn't he do that?!? If it was good, his money troubles would be over.

I agree though, not Fawlty Towers 3!

He should totally do that.

But maybe Connie Booth has said she's never working with him again, and he's too scared to try and write one alone!

Quote: Mark @ December 3 2010, 11:15 AM GMT

Gosh, yes, why doesn't he do that?!? If it was good, his money troubles would be over.

He's ooooold, and that would no doubt be a lot of work; especially after reading how much time and work he used to put into his scripts.

Quote: zooo @ December 3 2010, 11:17 AM GMT

He should totally do that. But maybe Connie Booth has said she's never working with him again, and he's too scared to try and write one alone!

I'll move things around on my schedule and write one with him.

I really think that even if the Beeb paid him loads for Fawlty Towers 3, he wouldn't do it. Although he is 'on the market' for things, he is doing it with some dignity. He was hilarious when he presented We Are Most Amused in December 2008, and that advert he's in is still in keeping with the Cleesian persona.

He said on The One Show that he would love to write, but nobody would pay him until for that unless he was able to sell it. He could write a novel, but both Plain and Idle have done that and I don't think they were that successful sales-wise. You certainly can't find them in anyhere but charity shops now.

Quote: Dave @ December 3 2010, 2:51 PM GMT

Although he is 'on the market' for things, he is doing it with some dignity.

Quote: Dave @ November 29 2010, 11:01 PM GMT

he played Dreyfuss in Pink Panther 2, and the AA advert he's in is still showing

I got a bit annoyed when John Cleese said he was moving to the US because Britain wasn't funny any more. Whatever, mate.

Quote: Otterfox @ December 2 2010, 12:11 AM GMT

Yes I believe in the latter days Cleese and Chapman wrote less and less and it was Palin and Jones who were writing the bulk of the material.

Or more to the point, Chapman writing less and less, and Cleese struggling to carry more and more.

I really think that even if the Beeb paid him loads for Fawlty Towers 3, he wouldn't do it. Although he is 'on the market' for things, he is doing it with some dignity.

But he is also doing things he doesn't really want to do. I'm pretty sure he said in an interview (which sadly I can't now find again) that he has hosted certain things he doesn't really care about, but he had to do it for the money. Doing that gadget show on Dave springs to mind as one of the times he was just doing it for the money.

Divorce laws really need changing, as it doesn't seem fair that his ex-wife is getting his fortune when she had nothing to do with its creation.

He said on The One Show that he would love to write, but nobody would pay him until for that unless he was able to sell it.

Interesting. Cheers.

She can't still have his kids to look after, can she?

One would imagine.

Quote: Mark @ December 4 2010, 2:57 PM GMT

Divorce laws really need changing, as it doesn't seem fair that his ex-wife is getting his fortune when she had nothing to do with its creation.

Interesting. Cheers.

I'll rephrase it and try and hit the right buttons.

He said on The One Show, that he would like to write. But you can't be paid to sit and write, you only get paid if what you write gets filmed or published.