What are you listening to now? Page 1,268

Quote: George Kaplan @ 8th September 2016, 9:18 PM

They had a lot of good press at the time (1982), and I bought (and still have) Pelican West which is the one to get. :)

I've sent my best friend an sms about Haircut 100 tonight. He already knew them and he even has Pelican West. I have to give this a listen.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 8th September 2016, 9:24 PM

I've sent my best friend an sms about Haircut 100 tonight. He already knew them and he even has Pelican West. I have to give this a listen.

It's the singles mainly - Favourite Shirts ( a club hit before clubs existed), Love Plus One (still, I think, very unusual for a big chart hit in a way that is impossible to be specific on) and Fantastic Day which is up there with the Beach Boys (and the Boo Radleys).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_msHpEa3_Y

Does anyone else think the Sidney Sailboat theme is good enough for the Avalanches to sample?

Finally got Bowie's Blackstar. Enjoying it do far.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 15th September 2016, 12:56 PM

Finally got Bowie's Blackstar. Enjoying it do far.

Loving it. His best in many years...'tis a pity he died.

I'm afraid I couldn't really get into it apart from about 2 or 3 tracks. But that seems to be par for the course for post "Black Tie, White Noise" Bowie.

Quote: Chappers @ 15th September 2016, 7:27 PM

I'm afraid I couldn't really get into it apart from about 2 or 3 tracks. But that seems to be par for the course for post "Black Tie, White Noise" Bowie.

What is it you like so much about Black Tie? Is it the songwriting or the sound?
Black Tie was my very first Bowie album. I absolutely loved the Jump They Say single (the song and the video) so I bought the album. This made me buy his earlier albums (and the ones that came after it) and I became a fan. But I'm not that fond anymore of that particular album, sure, it has some highlights for me: Jump, the title song, Don't Let Me Down and maybe Miracle Goodnight. But otherwise I do find the songwriting average and the atmosphere is cold (but not in a good way).
So, what makes it a favourite of yours?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 15th September 2016, 7:39 PM

What is it you like so much about Black Tie? Is it the songwriting or the sound?
Black Tie was my very first Bowie album. I absolutely loved the Jump They Say single (the song and the video) so I bought the album. This made me buy his earlier albums (and the ones that came after it) and I became a fan. But I'm not that fond anymore of that particular album, sure, it has some highlights for me: Jump, the title song, Don't Let Me Down and maybe Miracle Goodnight. But otherwise I do find the songwriting average and the atmosphere is cold (but not in a good way).
So, what makes it a favourite of yours?

I'm not saying it was a favourite: just that I haven't found anything consistently interesting since. Maybe the songs were more accessible although I loved albums like Low and the Man who Sold the World.

Quote: Chappers @ 15th September 2016, 7:44 PM

I'm not saying it was a favourite: just that I haven't found anything consistently interesting since.

You mentioned "Black Tie" a few times (almost as often as "Tales From Topographic Oceans") since I've joined this site so I thought it was special to you.

Maybe I should give it another listen.

Quote: Chappers @ 15th September 2016, 7:44 PM

... I haven't found anything consistently interesting since. Maybe the songs were more accessible although I loved albums like Low and the Man who Sold the World.

'Hours...' (1999) feels more like his older stuff, and is more melodic. Might be worth picking up if you see it going cheap. I really like it, but a lot of Bowie diehards are lukewarm about it..

Quote: George Kaplan @ 15th September 2016, 7:57 PM

'Hours...' (1999) feels more like his older stuff, and is more melodic. Might be worth picking up if you see it going cheap. I really like it, but a lot of Bowie diehards are lukewarm about it..

I was really into Outside and Earthling at that time and expected another experimental album. So I was a bit disappointed at first, but now I agree with you, it's a fine album with nice melodies.

Quote: George Kaplan @ 15th September 2016, 7:57 PM

I've got it. I've got them all. I just don't really KNOW it.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 15th September 2016, 8:03 PM

I was really into Outside and Earthling at that time and expected another experimental album. So I was a bit disappointed at first, but now I agree with you, it's a fine album with nice melodies.

Thank God! :D

I like the other, more abrasive stuff too, but tended to skip tracks on them to play my favourites, whereas with 'Hours...' I can play it all the way through. Also it's the only one of his later albums I consistently return to when I want a fix.

Quote: Chappers @ 15th September 2016, 8:05 PM

I've got it. I've got them all. I just don't really KNOW it.

Quote: Chappers @ 15th September 2016, 7:52 PM

Maybe I should give it another listen.

Add it to the list. :)

Quote: George Kaplan @ 15th September 2016, 8:12 PM

Thank God! :D

I like the other, more abrasive stuff too, but tended to skip tracks on them to play my favourites, whereas with 'Hours...' I can play it all the way through. Also it's the only one of his later albums I consistently return to when I want a fix.

Add it to the list. :)

And Hours?

Quote: Chappers @ 15th September 2016, 8:48 PM

And Hours?

That's the one.