What are you listening to now? Page 1,244

Quote: DaButt @ 29th April 2016, 11:00 PM BST

Whiskeytown had a song called Mining Town. Maybe that's it?

Sounds promising. Original version seems to be blocked on YouTube in the UK. Comes up as "This video is not available".

deacon blue - raintown?

It's not Raintown and I don't think it's Mining Town.

It's one syllable then Town and almost certainly American. :)

Quote: A Horseradish @ 29th April 2016, 9:57 PM BST

Impossible question time. I was standing in a garden centre a few weeks ago and there was a song on the piped music system called something or other Town. First, I thought it was Springsteen. Then Ryan Adams. Then Billy Joel or another artist in the 1970s although it had a pop/rock country twang. It was quite harmonious in the chorus. And it was something like Dirt Town or Dregs Town or Gutter Town or Dole Town - that was the sentiment although it might have had an all American name like Dirks Town or Smiths Town or Schmidts Town. It could be very new or it could be very old. It's been driving me mad ever since trying to discover what it is. Hay-ulp!

Bruce Springsteen-Lucky Town

Quote: George Kaplan @ 30th April 2016, 12:43 AM BST

Bruce Springsteen-Lucky Town

Nope - but that is very close to its vibe.

It's not Joel's Allentown either.

It's Tramps Town or Dive Town or Oil Town or Franz Town.

Something like that - downbeat and/or Germanic. :)

Quote: A Horseradish @ 30th April 2016, 1:14 AM BST

Nope - but that is very close to its vibe.

It's not Joel's Allentown either.

It's Tramps Town or Dive Town or Oil Town or Franz Town.

Something like that - downbeat and/or Germanic. :)

Are you sure it didn't happen 35 years ago, and that you weren't at the record stall at Camden Market, and that it wasn't a 2-Tone classic?

In which case it might have been -

Try RYM. People even post audio clips of themselves humming a tune they need help with. Anything goes.

Quote: George Kaplan @ 30th April 2016, 1:46 AM BST

Are you sure it didn't happen 35 years ago, and that you weren't at the record stall at Camden Market, and that it wasn't a 2-Tone classic?

In which case it might have been -

Try RYM. People even post audio clips of themselves humming a tune they need help with. Anything goes.

Laughing out loud

I will try RYM. It's Trash Town or Herb's Town or Todd's Town or Dean's Town or Fritz Town or something. The lyric is a bit like "Streets of Your Town", "My Hometown" - that kind of thing and it's indie-ish country-ish rock (ish).

I hope you discover the song's identity. You should install Shazam on your phone and then the next time you hear something interesting it'll (probably) identify the song.

It's coming down in buckets here and it sounds like the roof might blow off. Lots of very close lightning and thunder, too. I hope I survive to learn the name of your song. :)

Quote: DaButt @ 30th April 2016, 2:49 AM BST

It's coming down in buckets here and it sounds like the roof might blow off. Lots of very close lightning and thunder, too. I hope I survive to learn the name of your song. :)

If you survived, DB, this one's for you -

The Who SummerTime Blues Kilburn 1977

I'm wondering now why I never went to this. Probably sold out too quickly. I lived pretty close to Kilburn, and went to Kilburn High Road regularly with my older sister to buy shoes.

One of my few regrets on the gig front was that I never went to the Gaumont State, where the Who played, and the Faces seemed to play quite a few times. Originally it was a deluxe cinema - never saw any films there either.

DVD of the gig looks interesting. Have you got it, DB?

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/who-at-kilburn-1977.aspx

Quote: A Horseradish @ 29th April 2016, 9:57 PM BST

I was standing in a garden centre a few weeks ago and there was a song on the piped music system...

Hose piped I assume? :)

Quote: George Kaplan @ 24th April 2016, 9:27 PM BST

Great story.

Johnny Green's book about them is a fun read - A Riot Of Our Own.

Paul paints a lot now, doesn't he. Were both your mums artists, or involved in the Art World, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

George, I remember that Paul's mum made tapestries, my mum had one hanging in their house. They both lived in Bradford on Avon, in Wiltshire. All the arty types knew one another, it's a small place.

Quote: beaky @ 30th April 2016, 2:16 PM BST

George, I remember that Paul's mum made tapestries, my mum had one hanging in their house. They both lived in Bradford on Avon, in Wiltshire. All the arty types knew one another, it's a small place.

Cool.

I bet Paul didn't tell the NME in 1976 that his mum made tapestries. Doesn't sound terribly punk, does it? Did his dad play the lute while his mum was weaving away? :)

I wonder if your mum's tapestry is worth anything now because of its famous origins? It's the sort of thing that turns up on Four Rooms, if you've ever seen it (C4)?

I'll give you a grand for it

Quote: lofthouse @ 30th April 2016, 6:21 PM BST

I'll give you a grand for it

Laughing out loud

Do I get a commission?

I'm just wrapping it up...
I agree, it's not very punk. His family seemed impeccably arty middle class to me, like everyone else in the town. Someone else wrote Hollywood screenplays, I remember.