The Dick Emery Show

References to a sport team called 'The Tonks' on BBC News today made me think of the Dick Emery Show. It was the Little Britain of its day-usually the same characters, but included writers such as John Cleese.

Great stuff. A substantial amount of the later series were repeated on UKTV Drama a few years back, and I really enjoyed all that I saw. Another desperately undervalued comedy that's been well overlooked in recent years. I hope DVD releases might commence before too long.

I've got the best of Dick Emery and was actually surprised by the quality of the sketches. The learner driver sketch was brilliant. I would love to own the complete collection if they ever released it. They released The Thames Television Specials and the best of but that's it as far as I'm aware.

There's a film that features many of his best-loved characters, but that's all that's been released of the TV show, yes.

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/1111844/Ooh-You-Are-Awful/Product.html]
[h=566680]

Oh yes I've got that too. Haven't watched it yet.

Quote: James Cotter @ November 20 2010, 2:17 PM GMT

I've got the best of Dick Emery and was actually surprised by the quality of the sketches.

Why?

I'm sure I remember Harry Enfield saying that his television show was a bit of a homage to the type of shows Dick Emery used to do.

Quote: Marc P @ November 20 2010, 10:19 PM GMT

Why?

Because if you haven't seen any episodes, the little clips you may have seen in shows like 'Best Comedians Ever' make them look quite basic, poor or repetitive?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 20 2010, 11:04 PM GMT

Because if you haven't seen any episodes, the little clips you may have seen in shows like 'Best Comedians Ever' make them look quite basic, poor or repetitive?

Exactly.

BUMP !

But look at this for sheer genius at work !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVMRw3mBo_o

I've been watching some of the series again recently and have been refreshed and delighted by how funny it (still) is. TV today would really benefit from a broad, wide-ranging sketch show like this - a place where new writers could hone their craft alongside established names and the cream of comic acting talent.

Crying shame that so little is available on DVD. Almost criminal.

Quote: Aaron @ 15th May 2022, 3:21 PM

I've been watching some of the series again recently and have been refreshed and delighted by how funny it (still) is. TV today would really benefit from a broad, wide-ranging sketch show like this - a place where new writers could hone their craft alongside established names and the cream of comic acting talent.

Crying shame that so little is available on DVD. Almost criminal.

Don't know if some of that material would be allowed today, would it? But to more important things.......I presume all you have, has the outtakes at the end, which he always did, and there's one particular that creased me up; BUT GRRRRRRRRRRRRR, it was never repeated when they were repeating his shows awhile back

Dick and Pat Coombs are walking along a dock side, having seemingly been on holiday and just alighted from the ferry, with both of them carrying cases. The ferry blasts its horn and quick as a flash, Dick shakes one trouser leg and says "Sorry about that", at which point, Pat collapses in hysterics. Sooooo Funny. I'd love to see that again.

I'll keep an eye open for it!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th May 2022, 4:14 PM

Don't know if some of that material would be allowed today, would it?

Probably not, but it's a heck of a lot cleaner than much of the stuff that airs in primetime these days.

Quote: Aaron @ 15th May 2022, 4:24 PM

I'll keep an eye open for it!

Thank you - you'd make an old man very happy. ?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th May 2022, 4:41 PM

Thank you - you'd make an old man very happy. ?

Ooh you are awful - but I like you.