Frankie Boyle's Tramadol Nights Page 6

I liked his standup bits. Sketches were overlong, but I kind of liked his poor acting.

Quote: Ben @ December 5 2010, 1:52 PM GMT

I liked his standup bits. Sketches were overlong, but I kind of liked his poor acting.

Agree, we all know he's not an actor so it's funny becuase he can't act. The Knight Rider sketch, but lacked a punch. The whole show would have benefitted from a good edit, but I liked the rawness of it. Maybe next time they should aim for a more polished production?

I was pleased to see the guy from Burnistoun making an appearance.

The self-consciously black comedy gets a bit wearing after a bit.

The sketches are way the f**k better than last week

A pitilessly cruel humour akin to Sadowitz in a good way

The mental health was so on the money and just laughed like a loon
at "they stole my f**king dildo!"

a sublime double punch

will there be space for Sootyj's stylings after this assault...?

Quote: chipolata @ December 7 2010, 10:27 PM GMT

The self-consciously black comedy gets a bit wearing after a bit.

Comedy?

In fairness, there were a couple of decent gags in the standup but the sketches are just dire. Awful. That 'Wee Hing' sketch was depressing - I have no idea what it was trying to achieve because it certainly wasn't aiming for laughs.

I love so-called 'dark'/shocking comedy - and enjoy Boyle in small doses - which is why I'll continue to watch this tripe but it really does smack of 'tryhard'. I know it's not British, but 'Wondershowzen' set the bar for offensive comedy, and they did it in a genuinely intelligent and subversive fashion. Five years ago. With Frankie it's all rape, paedos, fingering, cancer, AIDS, bumming and a dash of Michael Jackson. Again, fine in small doses but when it's relentless the schtick grows old VERY quickly.

All that said, my fourteen-year-old self would have thought 'Tramadol Nights' was the best thing ever.

Wonder showzen was a sublime peice of comedic expressionist art

This was fun

Dr Dog OBGYN!

Just watched it again. The overlong sketches are quite possibly a result of Boyle being afforded carte blanche (within Ofcom boundaries) by C4 and quality control playing third fiddle to "This'll shock 'em!" and "This'll offend 'em!". Or "childsex" and "Jade Goody's cancerous crotch", as Boyle likely pitched it.

Just a bit disappointed in Frankie as I had reasonable hopes for this before last week.

You're right sooty, the WS comparison is probably a little off in terms of their respective artistic intentions, but some of Tramadol Nights' more abstruse sketches do whiff of "I'M BLOWING YOUR TINY FUCKING MINDS HERE PEOPLE". When he really really isn't.

Quote: sootyj @ December 7 2010, 11:18 PM GMT

The sketches are way the f**k better than last week

If you live in OPPOSITE LAND! Yeah!

All a bit uninspiring and dull this week. Kept having to force myself to pay attention to the sketches, and many of the stand-up segments seemed a little weaker too. There was a remarkable amount of humanity and self-awareness toward the beginning when he admitted that the joke he'd made of the audience member was mean and couldn't be anything but. That was quite an interesting moment I felt; rather went against the general no-holds-barred feel to the show.

I also thought the sketches were weaker this week, but the stand-up was absolutely amazing/brutal/hilarious. It's must-see TV.

It's easy to be offensive and it's not difficult to be funny.

What IS difficult is being funny and offensive at the same time - and making sure your act is (to your intended audience) more funny than it is offensive.

That's what sets FB's stand-up apart from almost every other TV comedian in the UK.

Last night's stand-up section was very good and the sketches were entertainingly weird.

It's all a bit monotone. At least on Mock the Week, there are other comedians offering something else other than a grim march of jokes about child abuse/cancer/disabilty etc. Here it's just Frankie and his adolescent obessions.

The nasty Glaswegian kids and the wanking time traveller could of come straight from the pages of Viz, which is no bad thing, although crucifix sequence was puerile, designed to cause offence without any point to it.

Last night's episode was far better than the first one. I will definitely be tuning in next week :P.

Thought it was better this week; though jokes about Jade Goody and Susan Boyle? Get with the now, Boyle!

I thought it was quite rubbish tbh. It seemed to be a disability and looks theme this week and usually I laugh at his jokes but he took it a bit too far.
It wasn't that funny but just seemed quite aggresively nasty. Those people can't help the way there are. It was completely disrespectful what he said about Jade Goody and Michael Jackson as I had just lost a relative. How would he like it if I made fun of someone he loved that had died?!

Apart from that I thought that some of the sketches were ok