Absolutely Fabulous - New Series Page 3

Can't wait!

When the odd episode has been repeated on BBC Two they have rated well so there is still a demand for it somewhere.

It would be good to see what effect (if any) the economic downturn has had on their lifestyle. It would be funny to see Eddie swap Harrods for Asda or Tesco, maybe she's turned into an Aldi Basher with Patsy now drinking Asda Smart Price lager.

I hope they're still rich. And gatecrashing Royal weddings.

Quote: zooo @ April 28 2011, 9:30 PM BST

I hope they're still rich. And gatecrashing Royal weddings.

:O They should sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo do an episode based on that!

Heh. It would be rather fun.
Especially if they could get some Royals to guest star. Fergie would be all over it - but does she still get invited to these things?

Surely she would as she is still classed as royalty, sort of.

I would like to see Boris Johnson or someone similar make a cameo though

*shudders at thought of yet more self-indulgent celebrity cameos in Ab Fab*

It is a bit painful if they're awful. But if they pick the right people it can work.

If the talks are for them to start in August it may mean a Christmas special.

Quote: Timbo @ April 28 2011, 3:56 PM BST

Despite Saunders' performance, this show was intermittently funny to begin with but quickly evolved into a tiresome luvviefest. I would sooner have another series of The Persuasionists than see this dead horse flogged.

Despite Saunders' performmance? Jennifer Saunders was excellent in this show and her ability to be vulnerable and needy at the same time as domineering and flambouyant was at the heart of the show's comic tensions - not to mention that she wrote it!
I (obviously) find this show funny throughout. I'm not sure what you mean by 'luvviefest' but this show is always on the money with its satire and characterisations and I have no doubt that the new episodes will be fantastic.

Quote: Timbo @ April 28 2011, 3:56 PM BST

Despite Saunders' performance, this show was intermittently funny to begin with but quickly evolved into a tiresome luvviefest. I would sooner have another series of The Persuasionists than see this dead horse flogged.

Totally agree. The first 3 series were by and large quality, but upon the initial comeback it subsequently declined and became a pale parody of its former self. They should let it lie.

Really?! I can't believe how many of you don't f**king love that show. Saunders is a brilliant writer and performer. I've seldom seen anything she's done that I haven't liked.
What of the American AbFab redux she was supposed to be working on? Does anyone know what happened to it?

Mitch Hurwicz of Arrested Development is allegedly writing it.

That should be interesting.

Quote: HatedNYC @ May 4 2011, 10:50 PM BST

Really?! I can't believe how many of you don't f**king love that show. Saunders is a brilliant writer and performer. I've seldom seen anything she's done that I haven't liked.
What of the American AbFab redux she was supposed to be working on? Does anyone know what happened to it?

Totally agree - I've always thought that the haters were just missing something. Maybe they don't get the in jokes or are put off by the unsympathetic characters - because the quality of writing and performance is certainly there. It's a sitcom where the characters actually develop and there is a sense of dramatic tension - which makes the humour funnier. Gag after gag is monotonous.

The American version got a pilot episode starring Katharine Hahn as Edina and Kristen Johnston as Patsy. Fox, sadly, did not pick it up for a series. With Jennifer Saunders and Mitch Hurwitz on board it looked promising. Of course they couldn't be as full on, but if you were to have an american Ab Fab, you'd want it to feel a bit like Hurwitz's "Arrested Development".

Quote: ToddB @ May 5 2011, 11:22 AM BST

I've always thought that the haters were just missing something. Maybe they don't get the in jokes or are put off by the unsympathetic characters

Isn't that pretty much the very definition of not liking a comedy: not getting its particular style or brand of humour?