When did the "Dandy" become "Viz"? Page 3

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ November 1 2010, 11:27 AM BST

Topper & Beezer were two different comics.
And Topper definitely went on into the eighties.
Not sure what merged with what in the end though.

Tozzer? Yes, I remember it fondly.

My boy loves my old Roy of the Rovers comics and the Best of 70s and 80s annuals which we got last year. We're on our second reading now as bedtime stories and I enjoy it too. :)

it was indeed...Beezer.. which had a ginger kid on the cover...I think my parents bought comics as they thought they should , I never really found them funny. Now Sparky would be viewed as very un PC, Sparky himself being an African native, but he sort of disappeared after a while.

I got into The Magnet reprints in the lower sixth and then again more recently :)

I was more interested in Eagle, Victor, Tiger, Hotspur and Hornet. It's a shame there's nothing comparable for today's kids.

Quote: Chappers @ November 2 2010, 1:13 AM GMT

I was more interested in Eagle, Victor, Tiger, Hotspur and Hornet. It's a shame there's nothing comparable for today's kids.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/calamityjon/4744562121/in/photostream/

:P

Quote: Chappers @ October 31 2010, 8:24 PM GMT

I've heard they've relaunched Dandy with "popular culture" characters like Simon Cowell with his high waisted trousers.

Well he did make a star out of Biffa Bacon's mum.

Quote: youngian @ November 4 2010, 1:31 PM GMT

Well he did make a star out of Biffa Bacon's mum.

And Tasha Slapper!

I haven't read the Dandy or Beano in many years.
Times & attitudes change.
I doubt they would bear much resemblance to the innocent Child beating comics I used to love.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ November 4 2010, 8:30 PM GMT

I haven't read the Dandy or Beano in many years.

http://www.beanotown.com/index.php?s=about

Have a free one me !

Why Thankyou OldRocker.
I shall have a look

I used to like the Dandy, my favouite strip was The Jocks and The Geordies I think

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ November 1 2010, 9:59 AM GMT

Danny's Tranny I'm pretty sure was Beezer as well, but I get a bit confused because Beezer did a Times and went from broadsheet to tabloid whilst I was reading it. Pretty sure Danny's Tranny was in the latter format if not both.
I loved the broadsheet version, it somehow felt special because it was twice as big as the other comics. The only way of reading it was laying on the floor.

Yeah probably my favourite comic as well, although I read all of them. Along with Buster, Beezer must have inspired more Viz strips than any other comic. Numskulls was very good, as was Colonel Blimp and Young Sid. Ginger was the cover strip and he really was more irritating than Chris Evans, as hard as that is to believe!

Danny's Tranny was from the 'Topper' and was pure class, a boy who could do loads of things like make people small or invisable with his radio etc :)