Are We Here? Arts Festival ft. Shazia Mirza & more

Are We Here? is a new arts festival celebrating the people and work which has emerged and been inspired by Croydon, South London.

Featuring music, art, and theatre, one of the most exciting events will be Shazia Mirza - award winning British Asian Muslim Stand-Up Comedian and columnist for The New Statesman and The Guardian.

Shazia's position as a female Muslim comedian enables her to break down cultural barriers and overcome ignorance. "The average white laddie bloke really has never met a Muslim woman in his life, so they're probably really curious about our religion and our culture"

She has found her work in great demand in Britain, Pakistan and the US. She performs wearing a head scarf and describes herself as a devout Muslim, keen to dispel any preconceptions that "all Muslim women are oppressed; all Asian women have arranged marriages and women are not funny". Mirza does not make jokes at the expense of her religion but is erudite and hilarious talking about her culture and current events. Born and bred in Birmingham Shazia's comedy and insight is a direct result of her surroundings both structural and cultural, which is why Are We Here? are delighted to feature her brand new stand up show Multiple Choices as part of the festival this November.

For further information on all the events visit http://www.tinyurl.com/arewehere2010

Quote: Get Involved @ October 26 2010, 1:26 PM BST

"The average white laddie bloke really has never met a Muslim woman in his life, so they're probably really curious about our religion and our culture"

Unless this is a deliberate piss-take, that is an immensely condescending comment to make. The "average white laddie bloke" (i.e. the working class plumber/builder/white man van etc...) has likely met more Muslim women than middle class hand-wringer and twat Alan f**king Rushbridger of The Guardian.

Still, Shazia Mirza is generally funnier than Shappi Khorsandi (which, in my white middle class male way, is obviously the only comedian I will/can compare her to)...

I've seen her several times on TV but never wearing a headscarf. Also writing for the New Statesman and the Guardian is not going to make me want to see her or read her thoughts. However I have found her quite amusing whenever I've seen her.

However Croydon is the sort of place to avoid.

Quote: Chappers @ October 26 2010, 8:05 PM BST

However Croydon is the sort of place to avoid.

Agreed. And I say this having once worked for 6 months in Croydon's A&E department. :(

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 27 2010, 11:12 PM BST

Agreed. And I say this having once worked for 6 months in Croydon's A&E department. :(

I've just been on jury service there.