Peep Show - Series 7 Page 5

Quote: sidecar jon @ November 27 2010, 9:29 PM GMT

I was there for the conception, what more do you want ah?

That's true, you already put a lot of effort in!

I'm sure I heard David Mitchell doing the paedophobe material on a Radio 4 panel show a while back.

I'm a Celebrity ran into the first 15 minutes of this episode, which could have affected the ratings.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ November 28 2010, 10:43 AM GMT

I'm a Celebrity ran into the first 15 minutes of this episode, which could have affected the ratings.

*Snob Mode*

Do the two audiences have that much of a crossover?!

Great start to the new series, looking forward to seeing the Christmas and new year episodes. As for the ratings, I think a lot of people have watched it online, and a lot of people will wait for the DVD, I also think that screening Peep Show on a Friday, when I would say its core audience are in the pub etc, could have something to do with it. Anyway, I give it the big thumps up.

Friday's always been Channel 4's big comedy night, though. All of its big successes went out this day.

For some reason, this show has never had the figures it clearly deserves. People say the first person thing puts them off, but if that's true, then they're idiots.

I'd say that having it on the internet early will definitely have had an effect; it seems unlikely that, seven series in, half its modest but steady audience would decide to drop it. If they publish the 4OD figures, I'm sure we'd discover where half its regular audience had gone.

It can't have many series left in it, though, so I don't think poor ratings will damage the chances of Bain/Armstrong choosing when they end it.

as for the ratings, I think a lot of people have watched it online

The amount of people watching it online would have been fairly small, IMO. Certainly not a large enough number to seriously cut into the Channel 4 ratings.

People have just decided to desert the show, hey, it happens.

I doubt that Don, the numbers for watching shows online have been steadilly increasing, and I would imagine the sort of people who watch Peep Show would be amongst the most likely to readilly watch stuff if available online.

You could well be right, Matt. For some reason I thought the episode had only been available online for 2 days, not a full week.

Last year the show opened with 1.8 million viewers, this year (including the repeat) it managed just over a million.

So yes, 800,000 people watching the show online - across 7 days - is certainly feasible.

I also think with so many people having Sky Plus now, theyll just record it and stick on a series link and watch it whenever they want. A few of my friends only got round to watching it yesterday so that could be another factor in the poor ratings.

Look at us, lining up to explain why an unpopular programme is actually very popular. We'd make great spin doctors.

There must be a lot of knowledge behind the scenes as to how many people are downloading or watching these shows on demand. Like this episode of Peep Show had a 1 minute commercial for KFC in it... I doubt that was done free of charge. I'm also fairly confident the price KFC/Yum Brands Inc. paid wasn't just based on the ratings, but also included projected DVD sales, estimated downloads and TiVO/DVR service numbers.

Great episode by the way.

Quote: MTpromises @ November 29 2010, 9:08 PM GMT

There must be a lot of knowledge behind the scenes as to how many people are downloading or watching these shows on demand. Like this episode of Peep Show had a 1 minute commercial for KFC in it... I doubt that was done free of charge. I'm also fairly confident the price KFC/Yum Brands Inc. paid wasn't just based on the ratings, but also included projected DVD sales, estimated downloads and TiVO/DVR service numbers.

Product placement isn't allowed on television here (yet). If KFC paid Objective/Channel 4, they can expect a large fine.