Tripper's Day

Tripper's Day is a sitcom that starred Leonard Rossiter as Norman Tripper, a Northern manager assigned to a London supermarket with a problematic staff.

The series has just been released on DVD and I'm thinking of getting as I'm a Leonard Rossiter fan but would anyone recommend it as I hear it got critically panned.

It probably got critically panned because it was shit (then again, seeing some of the reviews for Whites... *coughs*). Not even the mighty Rossiter could save this one. Any sitcom where the lead can be replaced by Bruce Forsyth (Slinger's Day) and there is no noticeable drop in quality, is not worth your Age Of Austerity pounds.

I like Whites so that means I've got bad taste and will like Tripper's Day too. I think it will be interesting to see if not anything else.

Quote: James Cotter @ October 20 2010, 4:25 PM BST

I like Whites so that means I've got bad taste and will like Tripper's Day too.

Have you developed BCG Stockholm Syndrome? I (almost) feel guilty. ;)

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 20 2010, 4:28 PM BST

Have you developed BCG Stockholm Syndrome? I (almost) feel guilty. ;)

Laughing out loud Thanks for the diagnoses doctor.

James, if only there was a website that provided information, reviews and other detai- oh.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/trippers_day/

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/-/26/55/-/13647123/Tripper-Day-The-Complete-Series/Product.html]
[h=528719]

I think it's worth the DVD price; although as mentioned it isn't a great comedy. On the positive side there is Rossiter who turns in a fine performance and lots of great "only in the 80s" bits like the theme song or the check out girl's hair and the "poor man's Michael J. Fox" clerk. It'd be nice if the Don Adams remake (Check It Out) was avialble on DVD, I used to watch that religiously when I was a kid.

Quote: Aaron @ October 20 2010, 6:45 PM BST

James, if only there was a website that provided information, reviews and other detai- oh.

Yes I know that Aaron. I went on that and read it but I was just looking for some reasons for why it got panned.

Because it wasn't the same slightly subversive level of excellence as Rising Damp, basically. I'd recommend the DVD, although would probably wait until it's sub-£10.

I saw one episode of it and it was very poor. Also watched one episode of the spin off Slinger's Day. That was better yet far from perfect. The reason why I preferred Slinger's was that Leonard Rossiter's not in it - Bruce Forsyth is. I regard them both as legends, yet Rossiter was too good for Tripper's Day. He was suited to legendery complex characters and it was a total waste of his talents. The great Forsyth though was better suited to the kind of comedy it was after.

Just watched the first four episodes of this on DVD and I'm not sure what to make of it. In the special features it says that Leonard took it on because his character was different and they were even going to make a 2nd series before the first had aired.
However upon watching I find that most of the characters are under-developed and the audience don't laugh that much at all. Perhaps it is the speed at which the jokes are played out or the fact that so much happens in the twenty minutes that they don't spend much time setting situations up.
Leonard's character, whilst different, seemed to bear no personality at all - in fact he had about fifty. Sure he was ill-tempered and crafty but then again these are traits that Rigsby carried...
I think that if the script hadn't been so fast paced (although this was the intention), and the endless array of silly 80s characters were fleshed out a bit more it would have been better.
All the characters in Rising Damp were so complex. Also, I think that Leonard was still on top form and worth watching just for that as he still is fascinating to watch, I think the fault would have to go to the slightly obscure script.
Perhaps another series with Len and it would have flourished into a classic because believe it or not, amidst the cheesyness and looking towards the camera shots which were so cringy, it did have potential in there.
Just not the time needed to flesh out the characters and solve the reccurring issues in it.

I've never seen more than a little snippet but it didn't look great. Proves it takes more than just a star to make a good sitcom. I can't think of any more capable comedy actor than Rossiter but still it didn't work. Another failure with a big name actor that demonstrates the huge importance of a good script, a sitcom's numero uno priority!

There are always a few attempts to get another good sitcom hit out of a reputable household name like Leonard with The Losers and Tripper's Day and Nick Lyndhurst with After You've Gone and no doubt there will be countless more.

James
Why not just buy it? The decision and potential loss is hardly akin to selling one of your kidneys.

As you well know comedy is a subjective thing.

What the hell, open your wallet, unfold a few fivers and, to quote Nike, just do it!

Let us know how it was for you too?

I've just watched the first episode and I enjoy it. I think Rossiter's great in it. Really enjoyable, like the fast pace of the sitcom. The characters are great. Looking forward to watch the rest of the series.