Dave's One Night Stand

Anyone else sit through this Ben Elton episode tonight? Absolutely dreadful. Elton himself had just a handful of funny lines throughout his entire 20 minutes or so. Jason Byrne, who I normally quite like, was spewing out unfunny, patronising and frankly misguided 'nostalgia' - the notion that an 18 year old wouldn't know that some cameras had/have film and you can't delete photos, or that he wouldn't know what a bicycle is ... just, wow. Astoundingly bad.

As for Tom Stade, I've only seen him a few times on Live At The Apollo et. al and always enjoyed his material, but that was just disjointed claptrap. Some funny bits but an absolutely awful performance. Wsa he actually stoned on stage? Not that I'd know a stoned person if they introduced themselves to me as such, but he certainly didn't seem in any sense normal.

Very, very disappointing.

I'm not a fan of the "nostalgia comedy" bollocks a la Peter Kay.

I think the "weren't old things crap/better" line of comedy is v lazy..... of course comics never USED to be like that huh?? Whistling nnocently

The Canadian guy did the usual "Americans are shite" rabble rousing which is a bit passe now, hey mate, "Dubya is gone!" Yaaay! So we don't hate Americans anymore...

:$

As for Ben Elton, he started on SamCam & I started wondering whether he was gonna lay into the new Tory gov and thought, "Well that could be interesting, as he was usually good at ripping the shit outta the Tories", but no, he then decided to segment into material that was 25 years old. The finger up the bum stuff wasn't new either.... just not as well known as some of the other material. He did write some new stuff at the beginning, but a negligible amount.... c'mon Ben, there wasn't more than about 10 mins of material in that show... you could've written 10 mins of new stuff FFS! Rolling eyes

I was clever enough not to watch it. I'll be watching the Millican one though, unsurprisingly.

I wasn't aware about what bits were old material, so I didn't mind Ben Elton's stand up. I laughed quite a few times.

I enjoyed the whole thing.

Damn, I missed it. I saw the dreaded words 'Ben Elton' and dismissed it out of hand...he isn't on every week is he?

No, he's not. Only the first one.

Ah good... I wish I'd gritted my teeth and watched the first one now.

Couldn't give a toss about Mr Elton's show, but could somebody (possibly a government, for example) pass a law prohibiting live stand-up shows/DVDs having the words "One Night Stand" in their titles? It's been going on for about 30+ years now and the innuendo was funny for approximately 0 of them.

Am I to understand that this was on Dave?

Is there any way to watch it if you don't have a TV?

Window of Dixons?

You can see it on Dave + 1
*Calls over Bussell & his missus

Become a CIA-trained "remote viewer"?

Cutout a picture of Ben Elton's face and stick it on some shit. Move closer for that HD feel and smell.