New St Trinian's film Page 3

From his (Wikipedia) filmography, the only thing I've seen is The Cable Guy. Which I actually quite enjoyed, although it's considered rather shit by most, I think.

I loved Cable Guy, very underated dark comedy. I liked Jim Carey's weird performance. You should have watch 40 Year Old Virgin, it was on ITV last wednesday.

40 Year Old Virgin was surprisingly better then I thought it was going to be, another gross out movie. It wasn't great, but it was okay.

Knocked Up and Superbad were the best comedy films this year and the best in a long time. Superbad was a how to guide of how to make a proper High School comedy, really shows up films like American Pie and the like. It treats the characters with respect and they have more depth to them, add to the fact that it's hilarious.

So yeah any Apatow movie I'm now looking forward to. He's got one coming out early next year which is a piss-take of Bio-pics, mainly the Walk The Line Johnny Cash one.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ December 9, 2007, 6:45 PM

Knocked Up and Superbad were the best comedy films this year and the best in a long time. Superbad was a how to guide of how to make a proper High School comedy, really shows up films like American Pie and the like. It treats the characters with respect and they have more depth to them, add to the fact that it's hilarious.

So yeah any Apatow movie I'm now looking forward to. He's got one coming out early next year which is a piss-take of Bio-pics, mainly the Walk The Line Johnny Cash one.

Superbad was sensational stuff, really, really funny. Wasnt as keen on Knocked Up, still good but it didnt seem to reach the comic highs of Superbad. Seen lots of bits of the biopic one, with Jack White as Elvis, and it looks really, really funny. Theres a funny scene up on Graham Linehans blog at the moment thats worth checking out.

Quote: Aaron @ December 8, 2007, 11:32 PM

From his (Wikipedia) filmography, the only thing I've seen is The Cable Guy. Which I actually quite enjoyed, although it's considered rather shit by most, I think.

Love Cable Guy, a great dark film with a demented turn from Carrey.

Just looked on IMDB and seen that Apatow is also producing the next Adam Mckay/Will Ferral film 'Step Brothers'. Looking forward to this, Anchorman is one of my favourite recent funny films, and though Talladega Nights wasnt as good, it still had plenty to reccomend it.

He's also producting Don't Mess With The Zohan, which looks interesting but i'm not a big fan of Adam Sandler. He's also helping produce 2 Jonah Hill films but those are only in the drafting stage.

Oh, and Year One: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1045778/ looks absolutely INSANE! Just from the people involved.

Why do so many people not like The Cable Guy? I loved it! Apatow's got a great record in my mind and if he keeps working with Will Ferrell, then I don't see things taking a turn for the worse any time soon!

I have to agree with Martin that Superbad was damn funny, but I still like American Pie as well. It's mainstream fun, but the sequels were certainly a waste of time.

If it wasn't for Russell Brand, I'd go to see this movie without a second thought. It will take some effort on my part to willingly pay to see him in anything.

Quote: Winterlight @ December 10, 2007, 7:42 PM

I have to agree with Martin that Superbad was damn funny, but I still like American Pie as well. It's mainstream fun, but the sequels were certainly a waste of time.

Oh I still like American Pie don't get me wrong, I have it on DVD and it's still a funny film. But Superbad is just on another level with it's subject matter, the ending without sounding like a complete sap is quite touching in a way...I think you know which bit I mean, I won't say as I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet.

The new Apatow film 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' has now been re-named 'Dumped' by the way, which is a god-awful name for a film, 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' had a far better ring to it.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ December 9, 2007, 6:45 PM

really shows up films like American Pie and the like.

It better have nudity or i'm sticking with pie

Back to the St Trinian's film...I'm imagining it's going to be so self-knowing that it just won't work. I doubt the script will be funny either.

One sentence to sum up; I've got a bad feeling about this.

I've seen a few bits and pieces, and for some reason, I think it looks really good!

Quote: zooo @ December 11, 2007, 7:07 PM

I've seen a few bits and pieces, and for some reason, I think it looks really good!

Is that reason Russel Brand?

Well, not the *only* reason.
:)