Misfits - Series 2 Page 6

So, is it really Simon?

It reminded me a bit of Heroes when Hiro(?) comes back from the future all cool. I just hope it doesn't go down the same path as that show.

So did a lot of people. I don't think the writer's strike helped, but hey, Misfits...

I'm not convinced that is "future Simon" although the pant sniffing suggests it could be. :D

Oh dear, that tattoo storyline was a bit lame and the climax to it a bit daft.

Quote: Nil Putters @ November 25 2010, 10:46 PM GMT

"Put your nuts on the floor!"

:D That was a funny line.

I saw it coming early on but it was still enjoyable. And being defeated by a nut allergy, excellent.

Not sure about Future Simon. He could be bogus. The ASBO 5 news clip certainly didn't look very convincing.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ November 19 2010, 9:55 AM GMT

I'd be surprised if he doesn't turn out to be just another empowered chav or somebody from the future.

(*cough* Heroes *cough*).

Quote: chipolata @ November 25 2010, 10:30 PM GMT

It reminded me a bit of Heroes when Hiro(?) comes back from the future all cool. I just hope it doesn't go down the same path as that show.

It's already shit, story-wise. The jokes and Nathan character are the only reason to watch.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ November 26 2010, 10:16 AM GMT

It's already shit, story-wise. The jokes and Nathan character are the only reason to watch.

No, it's not shit. Not at all, although last night's episode was a bit limp. But I do get the impression there's a shark ahead and Misfits is water skiing towards it and picking up speed.

Some reasons I think the stories are shit:

1) The protagonists don't *do* stuff. Things happen to them. The self-contained storylines so far this series have been entirely driven by guest characters.

2) The characters' motivations are unclear. They don't want anybody to find out about their powers? Yet they're happy to tell anyone who'll listen? And most every other character they meet has powers too?

3) The story arc is weak. There's no antagonist, no threat, no real reason to turn the page.

4) Anything-goes physics. It's fantasy, yes, but ideally in these kinds of shows you'll have some kind of internal rules on How Shit Works that can be played with. Misfits looks like it's just making it up as it goes.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ November 26 2010, 10:32 AM GMT

Some reasons I think the stories are shit:

1) The protagonists don't *do* stuff. Things happen to them. The self-contained storylines so far this series have been entirely driven by guest characters.

2) The characters' motivations are unclear. They don't want anybody to find out about their powers? Yet they're happy to tell anyone who'll listen? And most every other character they meet has powers too?

3) The story arc is weak. There's no antagonist, no threat, no real reason to turn the page.

4) Anything-goes physics. It's fantasy, yes, but ideally in these kinds of shows you'll have some kind of internal rules on How Shit Works that can be played with. Misfits looks like it's just making it up as it goes.

I wouldn't disagree with any of that and Misfits is clearly suffering from Difficult Second Album Syndrome. It doesn't quite know which direction it wants to go on and seems to be stuck in a kind of limbo. Unlike Being Human, which knew exactly how to do a second series.

That said, it's still entertaining, and I'd want to see the rest of this series before writing it off.