Have I Got News For You - Series 40

The host of the first episode in the forthcoming series will be Benedict Cumberbatch from Sherlock. Other hosts in the series include John Bishop, Chris Addison, Jo Brand, Jeremy Clarkson, Martin Clunes, Lee Mack, Miranda Hart and (not surprisingly) Alexander Armstrong.

Guests who will appear include Reginald D. Hunter, Janet Street Porter, Nick Robinson, Grayson Perry, Ross Noble and (annoyingly) James Blunt.

BBC Press Office story

Eew...James Blunt? Have they run out of funny people??

Miranda! Yayyy!

Thursday 14 October for ten weeks

Is there any reason for anyone to continue to bother to tune-in to this show, which is well past the point where anyone seems capable of reversing its sad, terminal decline?

Isn't that part of the fun sometimes? Watching something well past its sell-by-date still lumbering along, thinking they've got everybody fooled?

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 30 2010, 6:32 PM BST

Is there any reason for anyone to continue to bother to tune-in to this show, which is well past the point where anyone seems capable of reversing its sad, terminal decline?

I find myself agreeing with you.

I'm looking forward to seeing Lee Mack host again. The last time he was on he out funnied Paul Merton and out bitched Ian Hislop. Cool

Quote: Lassoon @ September 30 2010, 8:19 PM BST

I'm looking forward to seeing Lee Mack host again. The last time he was on he out funnied Paul Merton

That's not a particular achievement these days, sadly.

Fair point. Well made.

So other people have noticed Merton is loosing his edge? For several years now, I've been watching HIGNFY and finding myself going "Heh heh heh. Yeah, shut up Merton." Errr

One of the problems is that the quasi-surreal nature of Merton (at his best) works most effectively when there are guests of sufficient stature and seriousness to contrast it. Now that politicians, writers, journalists and celebrities are sufficiently wise as to the show's format, and the role they're expected to play in it, any genuine edge has been lost. Merton worked best (and hardest) when he could catch off-balance/confuse serious guests with his levity - whilst Hislop would provide the "nasty cop" element in the form of serious questions and hard-edged satire.

I'm afraid that the show is a mere pastiche of itself now - one of the major reasons it's not very funny. The other, of course, is having celebrity guest hosts. Whilst Angus probably had to go because he'd become the story, now the only story of interest is who's hosting - hence the show's become just another branch of celebrity-based entertainment - another light-hearted quiz show. They should have picked a relative unknown who could have made the host's chair his/her own, whilst having the balls to stand up to Merton and Hislop. The show's terminal decline was pretty much guaranteed once the two regulars decided (with the producers) not to bring in a permanent replacement.

(I know the 'Angus issue' has been discussed ad infinitum on this and other boards - but, as the above alludes to, the reason the role of host has continued to be a thorny issue is because it was/is so important. The way it was handled was a mistake, a fatal error of judgement.)

I see what you mean about the show losing its edge because people are wise as to what expect when they appear on the show now, but that doesn't excuse Merton's blatant unfunniness.

I completely agree with the idea of getting a relative unknown in to make the host's role his own. That would work really well. This is just personal opinion, but I really don't like the whole different host every week thing.

Wow. Has no one really got anything to say about this now the first episode has aired? Laughing out loud

I don't really, but I can't believe I'm the only one.

I had to rack my brain as to whether or not I had seen it. I had, but I still can't remember who the guests were. A bit of a nothing.

The one with Victoria Coren and Jon Thingy?
I enjoyed it.

I thought Cumberbatch was a brilliant host, actually. He should do it again.

Oh yes Victoria Coren and Jon thingy! Is it just me or is Victoria looking increasingly like her dad? Shame she is not a tenth as funny - though still a heck lot more more talented than her brother, obviously.

As for Jon thingy? What is he? I have seen him on panel games before and I can't work out how he earns a living. Not by being funny anyway.

Cumberbatch is okay, and seems to have inherited the David Tennant unlikley-pin up mantle.