Comedy synopsis

What is the basic plot of a great comedy episode you've enjoyed?

Take this example of Frasier; Frasier wants all the benefits of hanging out with the powerful and gay character played by Patrick Stewart, so he doesn't admit to being straight for the whole episode. And that's basically it, all the humour stems from that conceit.

[edited in view of post2]

Not sure I understand the question Nogget. Are you asking for favourite plot overviews of sitcom episodes? A synopsis isn't really the same thing - in my experience anyway.

I love Red Dwarf's 'Backwards' episode because that particular conceit was just so perfect for the show. Big, silly visual comedy combined with clever writing. If you haven't seen it it's the one where they travel to an alternative Earth where time runs backwards.

Quote: Lee Henman @ September 18 2010, 10:27 PM BST

Not sure I understand the question Nogget. Are you asking for favourite plot overviews of sitcom episodes? A synopsis isn't really the same thing - in my experience anyway. I love Red Dwarf's 'Backwards' episode because that particular conceit was just so perfect for the show. Big, silly visual comedy combined with clever writing. If you haven't seen it it's the one where they travel to an alternative Earth where time runs backwards.

Red Dwarf had a lot of great episodes that ran with an intriguing conceit. My fave would be the squid of despair episode.

Quote: Lee Henman @ September 18 2010, 10:27 PM BST

Not sure I understand the question Nogget. Are you asking for favourite plot overviews of sitcom episodes?

Yes, sorry, I'm interested in the basic plot, distilled into just a sentence or two if possible. 'Backwards' is a great example, with a classic scatological punch. So the basic plot might be described as; they go to a backwards world, and start with mysterious ailments and conditions which are eventually revealed to have happened 'later' on in the episode.

I'll change the wording of the OP.

Quote: Nogget @ September 19 2010, 6:27 AM BST

.edosipe eht no 'retal' deneppah evah ot delaever yllautneve

?

Quote: Nogget @ September 18 2010, 7:17 PM BST

What is the basic plot of a great comedy episode you've enjoyed?

You're looking for the "elevator pitch", right?

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ September 20 2010, 1:21 AM BST

You're looking for the "elevator pitch", right?

Yes!