Andrew Lawrence Page 4

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 14th July 2021, 8:16 AM

They were jokes, poor jokes.

Poor jokes lead to cancellation. I can see an attempt at humour in his recent tweets, but his facebook rant was angry, devoid of any humour. He back pedals and pretends the facebook essay was humour intended for his fan base. He had some fair points, but delivered with a denial of undeniable prejudice. Which is what he accused others of. He was a funny stand up, but he's responsible for keeping up a sellable brand. You don't tell the Boss to F off.

In fairness, below is his defence. He says of journalists "They're all the same" and the interviewer replied "The racism has started already." Laughing out loud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diiDuU7le4A&t=25s

Quote: zooo @ 15th July 2021, 11:44 AM

And fasty, really? Women posing as comedians?

Gemma Collins, Toff, Alice Levine, Alex Jones. Presenters and personalities taking a seat that could have gone to an actual comic, female or not.

Quote: Aaron @ 15th July 2021, 10:36 PM

Gemma Collins, Toff, Alice Levine, Alex Jones. Presenters and personalities taking a seat that could have gone to an actual comic, female or not.

Then they're not posing as comedians. They're posing as celebrity guests.
I don't think that's what Andrew Lawrence meant at all.

Quote: Firkin @ 15th July 2021, 4:19 PM

Poor jokes lead to cancellation. I can see an attempt at humour in his recent tweets, but his facebook rant was angry, devoid of any humour. He back pedals and pretends the facebook essay was humour intended for his fan base. He had some fair points, but delivered with a denial of undeniable prejudice. Which is what he accused others of. He was a funny stand up, but he's responsible for keeping up a sellable brand. You don't tell the Boss to F off.

In fairness, below is his defence. He says of journalists "They're all the same" and the interviewer replied "The racism has started already." Laughing out loud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diiDuU7le4A&t=25s

Interesting interview. I didn't watch it all although it does sound like his career started to flounder about six or seven years ago, and he started getting quite bitter and looking for scapegoats. Things like the BBC, women comedians, quotas, immigrants etc. And the more he obsessed about them the more he forgot about just being funny.

Quote: zooo @ 15th July 2021, 11:14 PM

Then they're not posing as comedians. They're posing as celebrity guests.
I don't think that's what Andrew Lawrence meant at all.

It's exactly what he meant!

Quote: Aaron @ 15th July 2021, 10:36 PM

Panel games have never been the exclusive right of comics. Think Gilbert Harding, Lady Isobel Barnett, Barbara Kelly, Ted Moult, Magnus Pyke, Patrick Moore, Lorraine Chase and many others over the years.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 16th July 2021, 2:26 PM

Panel games have never been the exclusive right of comics. Think Gilbert Harding, Lady Isobel Barnett, Barbara Kelly, Ted Moult, Magnus Pyke, Patrick Moore, Lorraine Chase and many others over the years.

Quite. It's not me making the argument!

Quote: Firkin @ 15th July 2021, 4:19 PM

Poor jokes lead to cancellation. I can see an attempt at humour in his recent tweets, but his facebook rant was angry, devoid of any humour. He back pedals and pretends the facebook essay was humour intended for his fan base. He had some fair points, but delivered with a denial of undeniable prejudice.

Yep.

Thing is, when he was having a go at the "UKIP is bad" brand of comedy (I mean, I hated/hate UKIP, but it is easy low-hanging fruit), this was at a time when Nigel Farage himself was literally still appearing on HIGNFY, even laughing (seemingly genuinely amused) at the UKIP jibes. HIGNFY has still had Tory MPs/peers on recently.

Especially amusing since I'm sure his (BBC) radio show happened AFTER all this ranting about the BBC.

And yeah it's coming from prejudice. He has become extremely bitter. He went from a misanthropic/nihilistic brand of humour (I can't remember specific material these days worked and was well recieved) to straight-up spite. I watched a few of his videos on Twitter recently out of curiosity when they made their way to my timeline, and it was straight up hate. Dressing up as a policeman, or a lecturer, or whatever from some place/institution 'f**kstick university', running a 3 minute sneer-fest and full of straw-men examples of people. It neither worked as comedy or social commentary, it was straight up nonsensical.