Comedy impressions

Hi there im new to the site aswell as comedy/impressions, and I was just looking for some advice on impressions:

When doing impressions should you start with some sort of vocal warmup to warmup your voice, if so what are the benefits?

Also can impressions strain or permanently damage your voice? If so how can you prevent this from happening?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Nicky :D

Hi Nicky

Welcome to the site.
I know nothing about imressions I am afraid to say but just thought I would pop by to say Yo. x

Quote: Charley @ September 12 2010, 2:28 AM BST

I know nothing about imressions I am afraid to say

Not even how to spell them, Charley ;)

Hi Nicky. I almost always warm up when doing impressions if I'm recording but if you just down the pub there's no need. There's all sorts of warms up you can do but the simplest is just to move through the different areas of your voice, low, middle and high so if you do a impression where that person is being quite quiet like Michael Caine and then suddenly starts to talk even louder until he is basically shouting it won't strain your voice as much if you've already done the warm up. Hope that helps.

hey thanks charley :D
thats great advice james thanks,also I hate to be a pest but is there any techniques you can use when doing impressions to reach a certain tone of voice for example opening the back of your throat? any tips lol.
:D

Quote: James Cotter @ September 12 2010, 12:18 PM BST

Hi Nicky. I almost always warm up when doing impressions if I'm recording but if you just down the pub there's no need.

Pub impressionists. Sick

Comedy impressions? I wonder what Michael Caine would have to say on the subject, ladies and gentlemen...?

*puts on pair of comedy spectacles*

"You were only meant to blow the bloody doors off!"

Or how about Mr Tommy Cooper, ladies and gentlemen...?

*puts on a f**king fez*

*vague grunting Harrrrhharrr....*

:( :( :( :( :(

*Wants to see Tim Walker & James Cotter have a showdown to see who's Michael Caine Impression is better.

I can do rude Michael Caine:

'You were only supposed to blow the f**king doors off. C**t'.

At school I used to do a South African Policeman (with a pencil case doubling as a riot stick) and a Deaf Person. I'm not sure which was most offensive.

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 15 2010, 1:04 AM BST

Or how about Mr Tommy Cooper, ladies and gentlemen...?

*puts on a f**king fez*

*vague grunting Harrrrhharrr....*

Superb! Nothing like a good Tommy Cooper impression.

Quote: chipolata @ September 15 2010, 11:01 AM BST

At school I used to do a South African Policeman (with a pencil case doubling as a riot stick) and a Deaf Person. I'm not sure which was most offensive.

Ooh, hark at Jerry f**king Sadowitz!

Quote: john lucas 101 @ September 15 2010, 1:23 PM BST

Ooh, hark at Jerry f**king Sadowitz!

Fat-Wrinkly-Faced-Small-Footed-Tiny-Shrivelled-Penis-Knackered-Baws-Potty-Mouth's back. Rolling eyes

Quote: chipolata @ September 15 2010, 1:29 PM BST

Fat-Wrinkly-Faced-Small-Footed-Tiny-Shrivelled-Penis-Knackered-Baws-Potty-Mouth's back. Rolling eyes

It's funny because it's true.

"Oooh, Desdemona... the cat's done a whoopsie in your handkerchief!"