Tim Vine - funniest joke award

Hi all,
I assume you are aware of the top jokes from Edinburgh and maybe this has already been addressed but which joke do you rate higher?

1) Tim Vine "I've just been on a once-in-a-lifetime holiday. I'll tell you what, never again."

2) David Gibson "I'm currently dating a couple of anorexics. Two birds, one stone."

Number 1 was funniest joke with number 2 obviously second. Does anyone think Tim Vine's joke is better???? I can't see how and I also think Tim Vine's jokes are all relatively simple or in the main anyway and I do not see this one been any exception, Don't get me wrong Tim Vine is HILARIOUS But in my opinion this joke should not of been in the running.

Please let me know your opinions. Am I alone?

Regards

I love Tim Vine, and am amazed by the volume of jokes he can write and deliver. But out of those specific two, I do find the second funnier, yes.

"but in my opinion this joke should not have been in the running." [/Aaron]

Does it matter?

Jokes are subjective. This debate is pointless. You can only compare them by how technically good they are, and because they are both the same joke format done very well, you can't even go any further than that.

Yup, I also agree ... Tim is a simple, clean, VERY FUNNY guy, with an amazing delivery of back-2-back gags!!!!...

... but the second 1 liner has more OOMPHH (sorry Tim)

All the best,
Cal :)

A pseud writes: both jokes take the same approach of combining familiar phrases with clever wordplay. However, to make it work the second one requires the familiar phrase to be truncated rather unnaturally. Moreover, the second also uses a blatant lie in the set up whereas the first takes a more naturalistic route. Hence, Vine's is the more elegant, and better, joke. Has the frog died yet?

Badge writes: who gives a toss, it's only a bit of PR guff for Dave.

I vote the second one too.

Don't know if anyone saw the list of the worst jokes of the fringe which went with this but some of the entries on there were cracking jokes, which just went to show that it was completely arbitrary really.

I love Tim Vine, he's my favourite comedian and one of the reasons that I do the style of comedy that I do but I don't think that winning joke is anywhere near his best, and even he, in several interviews admitted as much.

Lists like this are always good for getting people talking but comedy is subjective and it's impossible to produce definitive lists that everyone will agree with.

My favourite joke of all time.

My Dog has no nose.
How does he smell?

Achtung Panzer!

I bet you're all writing with jealousy

Quote: Tony Cowards @ September 6 2010, 1:54 PM BST

Don't know if anyone saw the list of the worst jokes of the fringe which went with this but some of the entries on there were cracking jokes, which just went to show that it was completely arbitrary really.

I'm not certain but I think the list of Worst jokes were just the worst of the best jokes if that mnakes sense.
It was a bit misleading.

Quote: Badge @ September 6 2010, 11:49 AM BST

A pseud writes: both jokes take the same approach of combining familiar phrases with clever wordplay. However, to make it work the second one requires the familiar phrase to be truncated rather unnaturally. Moreover, the second also uses a blatant lie in the set up whereas the first takes a more naturalistic route. Hence, Vine's is the more elegant, and better, joke. Has the frog died yet?

Badge writes: who gives a toss, it's only a bit of PR guff for Dave.

Yeah, pedantically logged on to make the same point. The phrase is 'kill two birds with one stone', so the second joke is trying quite hard. As Badge says the Vine's joke is more 'elegant and better' - or as I prefer it, the second joke is shit.

The second one is just a pun whereas Tim's one is so clever in its simplicity.

thx for grammer correction assuming this was with the intent of been constructive.

Does it matter? depends on what level we are working On, On a wider scope clearly not and I have not treated with any more seriousness. But to humour your reply I was curious to see whether a good number of people seen tim vines funnier to see if my thoughts were out of sink with majority.

Ps - have u ever come across a post on COMEDY.CO.UK that matters?

As for other replies thx and interesting to see CONSTRUCTIVE responses showing opposing views and reasoning why and a case put foward for tim vine.

ow and worse jokes I did think some got harsh treatment my fav
Why did the chicken commit suicide
To get to the other side

Thanks from a very arsy appearing

40winks

Quote: another40winks @ September 7 2010, 12:04 AM BST

Why did the chicken commit suicide
To get to the other side

40winks

That's pretty good.