Come Fly With Me - Series 1 Page 2

The trailers and clips so far seem quite amusing. I'm expecting it to be pretty good.

It looks like it might be really funny, but I thought you weren't allowed to black up in this day and age. Or is it okay because it's only browning up?

Quote: Marooned @ December 23 2010, 12:13 PM GMT

It looks like it might be really funny, but I thought you weren't allowed to black up in this day and age. Or is it okay because it's only browning up?

They play all characters, regardless of race or gender. I don't see anything wrong with that, it would be unrealistic to play such a range of characters in an airport and to have them all white.

"Please don't write in to say that's racist. It's not."

Looking forward to this. Can't believe the outraged comments on that blog about Matt being "blacked up" though. It's set in a London airport isn't it? Are we really to believe in a world where only white caucasian characters exist?

Anyway, the previews look good to me. What with this and the Royle special, that's my Christmas Day sorted! :)

I don't have a problem with it; I just thought that they didn't allow people to do that on telly anymore.

Quote: Marooned @ December 23 2010, 1:17 PM GMT

I don't have a problem with it; I just thought that they didn't allow people to do that on telly anymore.

I'm in two minds about this. On the one hand, I very much enjoy blacking-up myself of an evening (for example, if I'm going out to dinner or singing negro slave spirituals whilst watching Bristol City - or if I'm playing the part of Lenny Henry in the new RSC production of Three Of A Kind). On the other hand, I find its use as a "comedy" tool rather offensive and it's not the kind of thing I like to see on television. I certainly wouldn't want my children seeing black faces, what with them being at such an impresssionable age.

Quote: Lee Henman @ December 23 2010, 12:52 PM GMT

Are we really to believe in a world where only white caucasian characters exist?

Ever been to Yeovil?

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 23 2010, 4:02 PM GMT

Ever been to Yeovil?

:D

I'll be watching it, but I've not got massively high hopes. I always enjoy Walliams and Lucas much more in interviews or appearing as themselves, than I do their work, for some reason!

But it might be great, for all I know.

David Walliams swam the channel for charity. Presumably without grease, as he's so oily.

I think he used a float.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 23 2010, 4:02 PM GMT

I'm in two minds about this. On the one hand, I very much enjoy blacking-up myself of an evening (for example, if I'm going out to dinner or singing negro slave spirituals whilst watching Bristol City - or if I'm playing the part of Lenny Henry in the new RSC production of Three Of A Kind). On the other hand, I find its use as a "comedy" tool rather offensive and it's not the kind of thing I like to see on television. I certainly wouldn't want my children seeing black faces, what with them being at such an impresssionable age.

Ever been to Yeovil?

I can understand that; I used to have nightmares about Moira Stuart when I was a child.

I've seen a preview version of the show - to put it simply, it's like a less in-your-face Little Britain, with the airport acting as a common setting.

Lucas & Walliams have a knack of crafting memorable characters and they've a few creations here which I'm pretty sure the audience will take to their hearts. It's only the first episode, but you can already see a few catchphrases forming.

The gags are less 'in your face', but it's all still quite broad (e.g. airline official stuggles to find a way to tell a woman her dog has died in the hold).

A bit with the Japanese schoolgirls caught me by surprise and made me giggle a lot - funny sketch! Shame they're only in the first episode...

Summary: worth a look, and if you liked Little Britain you won't be disappointed.

Ha, I like the lunchbox.

Quote: Mark @ December 23 2010, 7:50 PM GMT

It's only the first episode, but you can already see a few catchphrases forming.

Oh joy!

:(

Quote: Lee Henman @ December 23 2010, 12:52 PM GMT

Looking forward to this. Can't believe the outraged comments on that blog about Matt being "blacked up" though. It's set in a London airport isn't it? Are we really to believe in a world where only white caucasian characters exist?

I think this might still cause controversy and headlines. They play various non-caucasian characters, but the black coffee shop worker is portrayed as work-shy and steals from her employers... I don't think it'll offend many/any, but you can see the tabloid angle.