The King Is Dead Page 7

Just noticed that the two male hosts are both the same height. Coincidence?

Actually I think it was integral to the original pitch. If you recall, around the time of commission the BBC were putting out press releases saying that they were looking for "fresh, original comedy formats featuring two male lead performers of approximately the same height".

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 24 2010, 1:06 AM BST

Actually I think it was integral to the original pitch. If you recall, around the time of commission the BBC were putting out press releases saying that they were looking for "fresh, original comedy formats featuring two male lead performers of approximately the same height".

Laughing out loud

I was of course implying, without a shred of evidence, that Bird insisted, in the way that little people in the world of showbiz often do, that his co-host also be a shortarse.

Well, showbusiness does often tends to favour the more petite person. However, I believe that Simon and Nick are friends from university days and, having conceived the show together, height was not a casting issue. :)

I finally got around to watching episode 2 last night and wasn't particularly impressed.

Yes, there are some good (maybe even one or two 'great') gags. And yes, I laughed a bit. But the overwhelming feeling I get from the show is that of discomfort; it comes across as too mean-spirited to its guests, without having established just why it is doing so, or what they've done wrong to warrant such attacks. Caprice's utter bewilderment really embodied it for me, particularly during her grilling by Nick, and how genuinely scared she looked as the light descended from the ceiling. Maybe there's something about her I don't know; maybe she kills puppies in her spare time or is vegetarian. Something she's done or is known for (other than perhaps being a little bit thick ('cos we've never seen thick pretty women before)) that would warrant such treatment. But no, as it is, I was barely aware of her existence before this programme and am barely any the wiser now, as they didn't establish anything about her. Other than that she once got done for drink-driving.

The premise of the programme could work quite well I think, but they seem to have lost direction and gone more for a sub-Buzzcocks "mock them 'cos they're famous" route. I'm all for bringing some conceited 'celebrities' down a peg or two, but it really doesn't work when the show itself hasn't established itself as worthy of looking down on anyone.

Quote: Aaron @ September 27 2010, 2:46 PM BST

pretty

Oh, she is, is she?

Stereotypically, yes.

Ohh. I thought she was a plastic faced weirdo. My mistake. ;)

It's a show that baits minor celebs, getting them on because they need the air time and making them jump through hoops and humiliate themselves for entertainment... I dislike it.

I've quite enjoyed this, so far, tonight largely due to them ripping into Dappy. (sp?)

Is it wrong that I find Katy, in a prawn costume, a bit saucy? Errr

Quote: Nil Putters @ September 30 2010, 10:52 PM BST

I've quite enjoyed this, so far, tonight largely due to them ripping into Dappy. (sp?)

Every time I see "dappy" hes being mocked, but it makes me uncomfortable, its not nice to mock special needs people.....

I enjoyed this week. It seems like it's settling into itself.

Quote: Nil Putters @ September 30 2010, 10:52 PM BST

Is it wrong that I find Katy, in a prawn costume, a bit saucy? Errr

No. No it isn't. Excuse me...

*disappears to the bathroom*