The Simpsons Page 4

I'm hoping the Scots will start demanding the Groundskeeper Willie character be removed because it perpetuates negative stereotypes of Scottish people wearing tartan, being short-tempered and aggressive, being fond of alcohol and having silly accents. Frankly, I won't be happy until every resident of Springfield converts to Islam. Diversity and respect before racist stereotypes, please.

Frankly, I won't be happy until every resident of Springfield converts to Islam.

Omar Simpson?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 28th October 2018, 2:07 PM

Omar Simpson?

Laughing out loud That's what the Frogs already call him in their dubbed version.
Omar, Maha, Bashar, Lina and Madhi.
And they should no longer be yellow. That is so racist against Chinese.

If Family Guy decided to cave in to pressure about sexism, racism, disabled-ism etc there would be no show. At least they're keeping true to their roots.

Yes, they stayed shit all this time.

No more white voice actors for non-white human characters on The Simpsons and Family Guy: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/arts/television/family-guy-simpsons-white-voice-actors.html

No mention of whether a Scotsman will be employed for Groundskeeper Willie or a real dog to voice Brian Griffin.

It's a very worrying development: I see absolutely no reason why an actor should not be allowed to portray a character far removed in a variety of ways from him/herself.

I'm particularly worried that we might have seen the last of Rick and Morty - as well as every other TV programme that features speaking alien lifeforms.

The difficulty of obtaining actors from other planets, galaxies and even dimensions is colossal - but it must be done in the interests of diversity and inclusion.

I was going to end this post with "Martian lives matter" but, as funny as that would undoubtedly have been, it might have given offence and, as I don't want the police kicking my front door down and dragging me off to some sort of internment camp for neo-Nazis, I thought better of it.

Another issue with The Simpsons is women voicing male characters. Bart and many of his schoolmates are actually voiced by women pretending to be males. Also, there are non-gay actors voicing gay characters. Surely they can find a gay man to voice Smithers, and Carl and Lenny (if they are gay?).

Smithers? Gay? Don't be ridiculous

I think the voicing plays another big role in sitcom perception. It's also interesting that the voices of Bart and Homer are recorded without any effects.

Quote: Nayan Glenn @ 7th June 2021, 11:14 AM

I think the voicing plays another big role in sitcom perception. It's also interesting that the voices of Bart and Homer are recorded without any effects.

Bought the first series off eBay for 99p (bargain!), and you can see the characters weren't quite fully developed into what we see now, especially Homer's voice.
Was also reminded of Maggie's little waterproof suit she wore whenever she was taken out, which made her look like a little star. I'd forgotten that. :D